Risky Regencies

Tick . . . Tock.

This week, I sent a proposal for a Regency-set historical to my agent. This book is about an opium-addicted Marquess who meets the illegitimate daughter of a vicar. They get married in a Marriage of Convenience, and spend a bunch of time traveling from the Scottish border to London.

So I titled it

Road To Passion* (although its high-concept log-line is Leaving Las Vegas meets Jane Eyre).

So now what? Keep writing, yes, but wait for feedback from my agent, too. Tom Petty had it right in this song “The Waiting” when he said “The waiting/Is the hardest part.” I have to wait to hear what she thinks, then revise, then send back, then hear what she thinks again, and then, and only then, hear what editors think.

It’s a lot of waiting.

So meanwhile, I’ll start writing another proposal, this one a contemporary about a Brooklyn mom who goes on the road with a revival of an ’80s new wave group (I know. Musicians in romances are forbidden. What can I say?).

And then another proposal. And another. Because, after all, what else am I going to do? Go get a real job or something?!?

Thanks for waiting with me! What do you do to pass the time?

Megan
www.meganframpton.com
*The cool drawing is an ancient Chinese picture titled “Road Of Passion.” Love Google!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Blog hop.

Hmm, I never considered starting another proposal after sending out the first. I just thought I’d keep on writing the same thing, and revise later if necessary.

But, especially in a series, that might be a good way to get a better idea of the arc. *scratching chin thoughtfully*

Kalen Hughes

I haven’t had to send a proposal out yet (I think my first one will be going soon, once I’m done with my 2nd book).

I have no idea what will happen if they don’t like it (cause I can’t imagine being able to put aside a story that is already “alive” in my head). I have always had two or three projects going at once though (keeps me from getting bored or bogged down), so I’m sure I can keep myself busy.

Writing works, of course. One can also catch up on books and movies. (For instance, I just read the first Naomi Novik book!)

Brava, Megan, for finishing the proposal!

What to do while waiting? Celebrate the milestone (hope you did!) and get back to writing. My own process doesn’t lend itself well to writing proposals, so for the time being I’m working on whole novels. That’s what makes me happy, too, even while waiting for external validation.

I have an achievement to celebrate, too. I just finished the embryonic draft I blogged about on Wednesday. So the hardest part of my process is DONE. Whew!

Off for a really big piece of chocolate.

Kalen Hughes

You finsihed the draft? My god, woman!!!

Write some more? Hmmm–what a concept! 🙂 You mean you don’t waste time with Project Runway reruns and dressing the dog up in tutus?

Major Congrats, Megan and Elena!!!

Diane Perkins

Congratulations Elena and Megan for reaching your goals.
Meljean, there’s no right thing to do. If you are unpublished, you almost have to write the whole manuscript. But once you’ve finished it and sent it out, then start a new one.

Elena, I can’t believe you finished the draft!

I still haven’t gotten into the new proposal yet–my head is still in the earlier one.

And Diane, Meljean is published with Berkeley, her two full-lengths come out next year, but she needs to find an agent (right Meljean?)