Risky Regencies

Kicking the post holiday blues

I’ve been spending this week trying to ditch the post sinus infection and holiday blues. I’m back to lifting (lighter weights so I don’t snap something!), swimming (fewer laps) and telling myself that no matter how rusty I am, I need to get back to work on my mess-in-progress (which WILL happen once I finish this blog post).

Also, while pushing the dual rocks of fitness and writing back uphill, I’ve been noodling around for fun things to look forward to: projects to do, books to read. Movies to see.

Here’s one that’s on my list: a new version of JANE EYRE from BBC, starring Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens. It’s coming out on DVD in February. (Read more at www.bbc.co.uk).

Although I’ve enjoyed the three versions of P&P I’ve seen, I haven’t yet seen a version of JE that totally worked for me. The version with George C Scott and Susannah York is a classic but mucks with the story more than I like. The William Hurt version–well, I like him in some movies but think he was terribly miscast as Rochester. The Ciaran Hinds and Samantha Morton version felt rushed though I liked her as Jane. The version with Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke is my favorite so far but he doesn’t look quite right for the part.

As for this new version, I’ve heard some buzz that the dialogue has been adapted for modern audiences. As I’m not a purist, this doesn’t particularly scare me but I hope they keep the flavor of the dialogue between Rochester and Jane, my favorite bits where he barks out rude questions and she refuses to let him unsettle her. Toby Stephens may just work as Rochester. And he’s got floppy hair, too. 🙂

Here are some links to YouTube, a trailer for the series and the scene after Jane saves Rochester from being burnt in his bed.

I’m feeling better already. How about you?

Elena
www.elenagreene.com

Anonymous
Anonymous

Let me try to post again. . . LOL It looks and sounds good — alas, I’ve never seen or read Jane Eyres. . . sorry! LOL 🙂

Lois

Those two look awesome, Elena. Thanks for the heads up!

I loved the Dalton JE too, but he’s hardly ugly, as Bronte describes him.

Good luck on the new tasks!

Thanks for the links, Elena!

This is clearly a Jane Eyre in which Jane is not all that much shorter than Rochester. Wonder how that will affect it…

BTW, I saw Toby Stephens do Coriolanus once, for the RSC, and he was fab!

This looks very interesting, Elena, thanks for posting it! I do like the Dalton JE, but could definitely use something to look forward to this time of year! I like Toby Stephens, even if that actress looks too pretty to be Jane. 🙂

Anonymous
Anonymous

To me, Ruth Wilson has that intense, barely-held-in-check emotional look that I associate with Jane. While I do like Toby Stephens hair very much, he seems to be little too pretty for Rochester, so I’m really looking forward to his interpretation and acting in this newest version.

puff, puff, puff My rocks are heavier than yours, Elena, which is to say that I’m in far worse a shape and unpublished to boot (rather like being ugly).

Loudly repeating… 2007 is going to be a good year. Power of positive thinking et al.

Thanks again for the kind words, Keira! Doubt you’re in worse shape but in any case, let us trudge up that hill in good company. 🙂

Anonymous
Anonymous

…let us trudge up that hill in good company.

The Riskies are definitely going to whip me into shape. With Diane and you on the cheering team, without a doubt I’ll be going to Curves regularly. I hope you also had magical powers to melt away fat. Sigh!!