Colonial Fun!

Greetings, everyone! Amanda, reporting from hot and sunny Virginia. I’m here until Monday, but Diane and I have already been having loads of fun touring everything historical we can find–and hitting every gift shop (the most important part, of course!)

Yesterday, it was Jamestown, touring the ships Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery (trying to figure out how Balthazar and Bianca, the hero and heroine of my “Caribbean” romance, are going to get it on in that tiny berth), wandering the fort, and exploring the huge new museum where I got to ooh and aah over things like Elizabethan lutes and a recreated 17th century London street. I wanted to get one of the tour guides to let the ship slip its berth and head out for a cruise, but no one seemed willing to take that chance…

In the evening, we met Harlequin Historical author Michelle Willingham for an “authentic colonial dinner” at the King’s Arms Tavern in Williamsburg, where we closed the place down drinking apple cider and listening to lute music. It’s going to just be a “Harlequin festival” all week here, since Deb Marlowe is coming in this evening (and I hope she is also prepared for gift shop mania! Maybe I should say “gifte shoppe,” since every sign seems to add e’s to the end of every word here!).

We’re off to Williamsburg now! I need to get a tricorn hat and maybe some tankards. I’m sure Diane will share more of our historical fun Monday…

About Amanda McCabe/Laurel McKee

Writer (as Amanda McCabe, Laurel McKee, Amanda Carmack), history geek, yoga enthusiast, pet owner!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Sounds lovely! And of course the gifte shoppe is the most important site… 🙂

Tracy Grant

Sounds wonderful! I’ve never been to Jamestown, but I made several trips to Williamsburg as a child (my parents went to D.C. a lot for work). I still remember the magic of walking around (wearing the authentic straw hat I got my mom to buy for me in the gift shop :-), feeling as though I’d stepped into the past.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

What wonderful pictures. I loved Colonial Williamsburg when I was there almost ten years ago. I would love to set a novel during that time period.

Todd

I envy you! I haven’t been to Colonial Williamsburg since I was a kid…and I don’t think I ever went to Jamestown. And I love those old ships! (Olde Shippes?)

Oh, welle…I guess I hadde my funne earlier thisse summerrrrre. Gotte toe keepe mye nosee toe thee grinde stonee nowwe…

Todde-whoe-cannotte-seeme-toe-stoppe-addingge-“eese”-helppe!

Another one of my, “Oops, Keira fell off the boat (in Seattle) and now looks like this.”

Diane and Ammanda have probably completely given up on me. But I had to eventually haul myself online. And I come here to see your cute picture. Aw. You two, we forgot to get a picture of the three of us in July. Doh!

Todde, you’re funnee.

“walking around (wearing the authentic straw hat I got my mom to buy for me in the gift shop :-), feeling as though I’d stepped into the past.”

There were LOTS of kids walking around wearing straw bonnets and tricorn hats! It was super-cute. 🙂

So, Ammanda did you snag a tricorn to wear with the costume you have planned for next year’s BM soiree???

I’m a witness! Amanda bought a tricorn! I bought no hats but I did buy several books. What a surprise.

Keira, we have missed you, but in that photo, you didn’t have to dress up for us, you know!
And what were we thinking??? Of course we should have gotten a photo of the three of us. Duh!

andrea pickens
andrea pickens

Oooooooo, Amanda and Diane, it sounds like you are having so much fun! I love old boats . . . as a kid I would constantly pester my mother to take me to Mystic Seaport in CT, where they have an old whaling ship, along with some recreations of a ship’s chandlery and tavern.

We want a full report on all the things you see and do in Williamsburg—and of course a run-down on the all important gift shops!

Diana and Ammanda, more in e-mail coming up.

Andrea, I wanted to chime in here and tell you that I’m reading your “Spy” and absolutely loving it!! Thank you for such a cool and different story.

Todd

Keira wrote:

Todde, you’re funnee.

Awwwe, Thankse!

Todde-whoe-ownse-stocke-inne-severalle-companees-thatte-manufacturee-thee-letterre-“eeee”