Uncategorized

[Pop Culture Reference] In The Regency

During the summer, as I was mulling over ideas for future projects, I realized what a lot of authors already know: To make a fabulous story idea, add “in the Regency” to the end of it.

This is like the Chinese fortune cookie game where you add “in bed” to your fortune. Hilarity ensues. In this case, however, you might come up with some really useful ideas.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer in the Regency? Colleen Gleason‘s Gardella Vampire Chronicles.
Sex And The City in the Regency? A gazillion different authors, most notably Eloisa James.
Desperate Housewives in the Georgian? Eloisa James, again.
Charlie’s Angels in the Regency? Jenna Petersen.

What other examples can you think of?

Now every time I’m watching TV I pin “in the Regency” to the end. Unfortunately, since most of the TV I watch is due to my son, I’m left with Spongebob Squarepants in the Regency, or Scooby-Doo in the Regency (although Shaggy could be the Prince of Wales, couldn’t he?)

What piece of pop culture would you like to see “in the Regency?”

Megan

AndreaW

Megan, I love the “SpongeBob Squarepants in the Regency” one! LOL SB is on a lot at my house, too. 😉

I would say ‘CSI in the Regency’, but they really didn’t have much technology back then to solve crimes like we do today. lol

~Andrea

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

I was going to say Grey’s Anatomy, but medicine was a whole different ballgame back then what with all the bloodletting. Plus you couldn’t have a character like Meredith unless she pretended to be a man in order to go to medical school. How about Heroes in the Regency?

Georgie Lee

Top Gear in the Regency. Can you imagine test driving carriages?

Dancing With the Stars in the Regency???

Lois

Well, we’ve already done my first thought, Star Trek in the Regency. . . I don’t think we really did Star Wars, so there’s that. . .

I Love Lucy in the Regency. . .

Sesame Street in the Regency. . .

Smallville/or your favorite SUperman incarnation in the Regency. . .

The Mummy perhaps, in the Regency. . .

Hey, Men in Black in the Regency?

Oh yeah, the X-Files, well, yadda, yadda, yadda. 😉

Lois

Andrea, my friend Helen is reading a mystery that is basically a Medieval CSI set in England. The heroine is a doctor or scientist from Vienna and she must have a man to be her “voice” lest she be branded a witch. I can find out the title if anyone is interested.

I have one of these ideas, but I’m not going to share!!!! Stay tuned. If it sells, I’ll shout it to the rooftops.

Susan Wilbanks

Hey, me too! I have to admit I kinda winced when I saw this topic, because if people sit around playing “X in the Regency” long enough, someone else might think of mine too, and, dang it, I want to write it. Only I want to finish my current WIP and its sequel first, and I can only write so fast with the whole full-time job, marriage, and preschool daughter thing!

Diane and Susan, me three! Only I didn’t share either of my two ideas here.

Oh, gee, Susan and Megan! I hope we don’t all have the same idea!

Flip That House??? Project Runway??
Clean House???
What else do I watch…..Extreme Makeover???

Susan Wilbanks

Megan and/or Diane–email me at susansw AT gmail DOT com, and I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours. And then my lips will be sealed. If we have the same idea…I dunno, we can arm-wrestle for it!

Christina

Very interesting ideas, hope you all didn’t really have the same thing, that should make for some fun.

TRANSFORMERS in the Regency. The china teacup suddenly sprouts legs and becomes a Decepticon and blows up Carlton House — which explains why it isn’t there today.

Incompetent and weepy drawing room musical recitals by untalented amateurs, while the ton sneers: American Idol in the Regency!

Susan Wilbanks

Janet, you should totally write that, at least as a novella!

Tracy Grant

“Alias” in the Regency? That’s my books, a bit, though certainly not entirely. “Lost” in the Regency? ship crossing the Atlantic or going to India strands a group of travlerers on a mysterious Island and flashbacks reveal how intertwined their pasts are? “Prison Break in the Regency?” Brilliant young architecht gets himself jailed in order to rescue his brother who’s been falsely imprisoned by a conspiracy that stretches into the most elite corridors of Whitehall?

AndreaW

Diane, I would love to know the name of this book! Thanks!

~Andrea

AndreaW

Oh my gosh, Cara, this has me laughing out loud!! Hilarious!! This was, by far, my family’s favorite movie this year. We loved it!

~Andrea

Avery Gray

Would “Nip/Tuck” in the Regency be considered Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein? Perhaps not.

Nicole

Diane, would it be Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin that she’s reading?

It has got to be, Nicole. It fits Helen’s description perfectly!

Yikes, my suggestions are similar to Megan’s.

Muppets in the Regency. And now the image of Miss Piggy in a Regency gown is burning my mental eyeballs…

janegeorge

Too funny, Cara!

The only thing that came to me was The Big Lebowski in the Regency. “The Duke Abides.” What’s the Regency equivalent of bowling?

Heck, I have about as much chance of selling that as I do the stuff I’m working on…

Santa

Vegas in the Regency. Three built in heroes, one impertinent chit, another wallflower and the inevitable TSTL heroine. Bodices would be about the same, especially if they were attending a Cyprian’s ball every episode…..

Camilla Bartley

That Prison Break in the Regency (or Victorian) sounds like a great premise.

That Prison Break in the Regency (or Victorian) sounds like a great premise