Ahoy Maties!

Yes, it’s that time of year again! This Wednesday, September 19th, is the annual Talk Like A Pirate Day. What does that mean? Loads and loads of fun, of course! Since this special day only comes once a year, we need to take advantage of it. Wear your eye-patch to work, let your parrot out of the cage, and dazzle your co-workers with your extensive knowledge of pirate-speak.

Here’s a few useful words and phrases to help you get started:
“Arrrrggghh!” (the classic–all-purpose)
“Ahoy, me hearties!” (to use when you’re about to board the ship–or enter the copy room)
“Weigh anchor! Hoist the mizzen!” (set sail, chase the prize ship! Or go on your lunch break)
“Avast ye varmint” (drop the pieces of eight! Or bring back my stapler)

Some other useful grammar tips include:
Double up on adjectives–the more the better (it’s not a nice ship, it’s a “great, grand, glorious ship”)
Always drop your g’s (rowin’, fightin’)
Say “I be”, not “I am”
When in doubt, start your sentences with “Argh, me hearty”

Some websites to help you out:
Official Site (find events near you!)
Pirates and Privateers (some fun history and links)
More Useful Vocabulary

I’ve been doing research for my next project (to be started when the Sicily-set Regency book is done!), a tale of 16th century pirates in the Caribbean (starring Balthazar from A Notorious Woman), and I’m finding out that being a Real Pirate is not nearly as much fun as being a Movie Pirate. But I’m still going to call Talk Like a Pirate Day useful research and take full advantage of it!

If you could hold a Talk Like A Pirate Day party, what would it be like? Who would you invite (besides the Riskies, of course!)? What are some favorite pirate movies (besides Pirates of the Caribbean, I really love that old Errol Flynn cheese-fest Against All Flags).

And remember, when in doubt–Arrrrrggghhhh!

About Amanda McCabe/Laurel McKee

Writer (as Amanda McCabe, Laurel McKee, Amanda Carmack), history geek, yoga enthusiast, pet owner!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Avast, me hearties. September 19 is “Talk like a Pirate Day.” Be a rum fellow and take part. No quarter will be given to scurvy dogs who don’t. Aye, they be soon feeding the fish down to Davy Jones’ locker, while I be lifting my voice in a sea shanty. Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum. Arrrrrrrr.

For a party, I’d have M&Ms and call them pieces of eight. And everyone would get a sword. Then I’d cover the sofa to protect it from blood spatters.

And for movies, I also like PIRATES OF PENZANCE and the Judy Garland/Gene Kelly movie THE PIRATE. (Even though he’s not really a pirate in it.) Oh, and TREASURE ISLAND, of course!

I would invite . . . hm. You and Orlando, then excuse myself to check on the hors d’oeuvres, ’cause I’m cool like that.

Megan, you are the perfect hostess. 🙂 (BTW, I was at Target today and bought a big pile of Orlando Pirate-themed notebooks, so I am good to start writing)

Keira, I definitely think you have the hang of TLAPD!

Ammanda wrote, “…bought a big pile of Orlando Pirate-themed notebooks…”

Sacrilege. The cult of Hello Kitty hereby banishes you forever and ever.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

This fun, as long as no one sings any of the songs from the god awful Pirate Queen musical that closed on Broadway a few months ago.

“the god awful Pirate Queen musical that closed on Broadway a few months ago.”

I heard that was a real stinker! Did you actually sit in theater and subject yourself to it, Elizabeth???

Keira, never fear! I picked up Hello Kitty notebooks, too. 🙂 I bought whatever was in the post-back-to-school clearance sale!

Chantal

Ah, the only pirate I need is my Johhny.
Funny enough though, I don’t really like the POTC movies. Go figure.
I can’t even think of any other priate movies either.

Susan/DC
Susan/DC

I’ve never been good at languages so don’t speak Pirate, but I do have two recommendations for movies: “Captain Blood” and “Against All Flags”. Both star Errol Flynn, who was quite wonderful as a swashbuckling hero (and for an example of him swashbuckling on land, I recommend him in “Robin Hood”).

YAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOO!!! Today is the 16th, and we can all join Cruikshank in a comic dance to celebrate a risky event.

Happy, Happy, Happy Anniversary!!

Amanda, I do not believe I’ve ever had a Pirate fantasy. If I had a party, I’d just ask everyone to appear in Regency garb.

Santa

What pirate party would be complete without Wesley (The Princess Bride)as the pirate Roberts. It doesn’t get any better than that!

Oh, Amanda, if you need anyone to translate stuff in Italian or go there to do research just let me know. I’m willing to make the sacrifice to see Bathazar’s story come to light!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

Yes, Amanda, I did pay money to see the absymal Pirate Queen on Broadway and I knew after the first number that I just blew $50. There were no memorable songs, and everyone had different accents. The costumes were pretty though, but I could have done without the incessant stepdancing for every number.