AUSTEN TREK, THE NEXT GENERATION: Borg and Prejudice

AUSTEN TREK: or, If Jane Austen Wrote Star Trek…

“I must,” said Captain Picard, “tender my apology, with great sincerity, for telling you (during that time in which I was a member of the Borg Collective) that you would be assimilated.”

“On the contrary, it taught me to hope,” said Commander Riker, “as I had scarcely ever allowed myself to hope before. I knew enough of your disposition to be certain that, had you absolutely, irrevocably decided to assimilate me, you would not have spent nearly so much time boasting of the fact.”

Captain Picard coloured and laughed as he replied, “I see you know me very well.”

“And I, too,” continued Riker, “wish to apologize, for my vigorous and whole-hearted attempt to end your life at that time.”

“What did you say or do, that I did not deserve? For, though your arguments that my humanity was irrecoverable were ill-founded, formed on mistaken premises, my behaviour to you at the time, had merited the severest reproof. It was unpardonable. I cannot think of it without abhorrence.”

“We will not quarrel for the greater share of blame annexed to that stardate,” said Riker. “The conduct of neither, if strictly examined, will be irreproachable; but since then, we have both, I hope, improved in civility, if not humanity.”

“I cannot be so easily reconciled to myself!” exclaimed Picard. “The recollection of what I then said,–‘I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us.’–of my conduct, my manners, my expressions during the whole of it, is now, and has been many months, inexpressibly painful to me. Your reproof, so well applied, I shall never forget: ‘Mr. Worf, fire.’ Those were your words. You know not, you can scarcely conceive, how they have tortured me;–though it was some time, I confess, before I was reasonable enough to allow their justice.”

“I was certainly very far from expecting my order to fire to make so strong an impression.”

“I can easily believe it,” said Picard. “You thought me then devoid of every human feeling, I am sure you did. The turn of your countenance I shall never forget, as you said ‘Then take your best shot, Locutus, because we are about to intervene.'”

“Oh! do not repeat what I then said. And think no more of any unfortunate utterances which you made whilst you were Borg. The feelings of you as Locutus, and you now, are so widely different from each other, that every unpleasant circumstance attending your erstwhile collectiveness, ought to be forgotten.”

And remember: next Tuesday, October 2, our Jane Austen Movie Club will be discussing the Patricia Rozema version of MANSFIELD PARK! So bring your opinions, and get ready for a hot debate!

Cara King, author of MY LADY GAMESTER, and fan of Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

About Elena Greene

Elena Greene grew up reading anything she could lay her hands on, including her mother's Georgette Heyer novels. She also enjoyed writing but decided to pursue a more practical career in software engineering. Fate intervened when she was sent on a three year international assignment to England, where she was inspired to start writing romances set in the Regency. Her books have won the National Readers' Choice Award, the Desert Rose Golden Quill and the Colorado Romance Writers' Award of Excellence. Her Super Regency, LADY DEARING'S MASQUERADE, won RT Book Club's award for Best Regency Romance of 2005 and made the Kindle Top 100 list in 2011. When not writing, Elena enjoys swimming, cooking, meditation, playing the piano, volunteer work and craft projects. She lives in upstate New York with her two daughters and more yarn, wire and beads than she would like to admit.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to AUSTEN TREK, THE NEXT GENERATION: Borg and Prejudice

1. catslady says:

I’m watching Picard at this moment as I read your post. Loved it. Resistance is futile!!!

2. That’s so funny Cara! I was just saying to someone the other day that you could probably pitch a love story between Austen and Spock and get it published if you put her name in the title.

3. Cara, you have a strange and wonderful mind.

4. Diane Gaston says:

Bwhaaaahahahahahaha!

5. Lois says:

LOL TNG was last hour for me. . . πŸ˜‰ As for the post. . . hee, hee. . . terrrrrrific! πŸ™‚

Lois, who realizes now, that with all the time travel episodes/movies that they did, they never did a regency one. Pooh.

6. I love being assimilated!

7. Elena Greene says:

Cara, you have a sick mind, one might even say…warped. Sorry!

8. I had to laugh in awe over your story-telling (and, er, fact-bending) ability.

Kindly ‘xplain this: Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Hot, what? Both Tea and Earl Grey, or is it either or??

BTW, what is the history behind Risky Regencies and how it came into being? I came into it a year later, but never did know the original beginnings.

9. Georgie Lee says:

Hello halodeck. I loved TNG in junior high and high school. I was such a nerd I had a crush on Data. I also really liked Q. Never thought I’d see TNG and the Regency combined. It’s great.

10. janegeorge says:

ROFLMAO!

My workday today caused me to be devoid of every human feeling, and you have delightfully restored me to humanity.

Yours in erstwhile collectiveness,
    jane

11. Cara King says:

Kindly ‘xplain this: Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Hot, what? Both Tea and Earl Grey, or is it either or??

You’d have to ask Picard. He programmed the Enterprise computer to know what he wanted when he said that memorable phrase… And as I never actually drank what then appeared, I can only assume that it was a computer-generated equivalent of hot Earl Grey tea. (Without milk.)

Of course, another question is why the supposedly French captain was drinking Earl Grey in the first place… πŸ™‚

12. doglady says:

Gotta’ love Regency Enterprise!! You could explain the Earl Gray tea by throwing an English ex-patriot grandmother in Picard’s background! Cara has an obviously enhanced mind thus enabling her to send herself into the Regency Enterprise world!

13. Regina Scott says:

Cara, priceless! What’s next, Deep Space 9 and Sensibility?

14. Cara King says:

What’s next, Deep Space 9 and Sensibility?

Sounds good, Regina! πŸ™‚

15. Todd says:

WE ARE THE JANE AUSTEN FANS. PREPARE TO BE ASSIMILATED! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Todd-who-was-assimilated-a-while-back

16. Todd says:

Keira wrote:

Wow, Keira. I can barely remember it myself. It started a long time ago…in a galaxy far, far away…

Todd-who-has-given-in-to-the-dark-side

17. AndreaW says:

This is hilarious, Cara!!

18. Oh. My. Gosh.

SO hilarious!!!

19. Santa says:

Cara, I like the way you think and, frankly, that frightens me!

You must come up with something for Captain Janeway. Janeway….it just screams for a touch of Austen and she did like to wear her hair up!

20. Cara King says:

True, Santa! And she was always doing those Dickensian holodeck fantasies… πŸ™‚

21. LAWLS! I aboslutely ADORE Patrick Stewart. Wouldn’t he look nice in a tailcoat and cravat.

22. Cara King says:

Wouldn’t he look nice in a tailcoat and cravat.

Ooh, yes… πŸ™‚