Risky Regencies

What I’m Doing on My New York Vacation

What i’ve done on my vacation (so far!):

1) Helped Megan unpack and move books (she may think I’m being helpful, but really I’m scheming ways to steal her research collection. Bwa-ha-ha!!!)

2) Pestering Megan to start her new book

3) Having lunch with editor and agent. Pretending for two hours to be a reasonably professional and socially presentable person (I did not even squeal when given some free books! Yay!)

4) Visiting the Frick Collection, looking at Parmigianino’s painting “Antea” and standing in the Fragonard room, pretending it’s mine. All mine!

5) Going to the Yale British Art Center with Andrea Pickens and looking through boxes full of Regency-era satirical prints and Gainsborough drawings

6) Gawking at people on the train

More next week, complete with pictures!

Julia Justiss

Ammanda, you wicked person, you! Teasing us with that comment about visiting the Yale British Art Center and looking at all the Regency prints. I’m afraid I’d be arrested trying to sneak out the door with prints concealed under my raincoat, like some sort of inverse flasher. Anyway, enjoy!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

Hi Amanda! Isn’t the Frick wonderful? Its one of my favorite museums in New York. Sounds like you’re having a wonderful time in my hometown.

Ammanda dear, I knew you’d be living up your NYC trip!! Can’t wait to hear the details in the details, and pictures of course.

andrea pickens
andrea pickens

Ammanda and I were NOT caught trying to stuff original Rowlandson prints down our bodices, but we were warned not to point our sweaty little fingers quite so close to the paper as we were oohing and aahing over the detail of a Bath ballroom. It was such fun to spend an afternoon poring over the treasures in the Study Room of the Yale British Art Center, including a box of original Turner watercolor sketches. There was way too much to choose from, and we are already making plans to go back. Check here next week for Ammanda’s full account of our adventures (I think she’s forgiven my dead car battery . . . after all, I did get her to New Haven eventually!)

Diane can’t post today. She’s having palpitations and flutterings and a terrible case of the vapors due to excessive envy.

Those prints sound lovely!!!

BTW, I love the Frick, too! My favorite kind of art. And there’s another Frick in Pittsburgh…smaller, but it’s where they actually lived, which is cool! I highly recommend it….

Jane

I’ve never been to the Frick, but I love the Met. I went to the Anglophile Fashion exhibit at the Met a couple of years ago.

Santa

I love the Frick Museum and it’s such a gorgeous area, too. Sounds like you’re having a grand time!

Lois

Ooh, sounds like fun over there. . . but hope you haven’t been caught in the traffic too badly for past couple days! 🙂

Lois

doglady

I am with the Divine One turning seven shades of green with envy! I suggest you get a bigger raincoat! I would need a bib to look at those prints as I would be drooling. Keep pestering Megan, Amanda! Good job! Sounds like a fabulous trip. Can’t wait to get a full report!

Sounds like a great trip, Amanda, especially the art.

I’m still in reentry from a trip of my own this past week (the usual mound of laundry and hundreds of emails)–will talk more about it on Wednesday but I am glad to be back among you!

well, I went to see the Pope today (me and 59,000 of my closest friends, lol) so my work here is done. 🙂 Will be home tomorrow night!

Hey, last weekend I saw the Dalai Lama. 🙂

doglady

Kudos to Keira and Amanda for getting to see two wonderful holy men! What a thrill it must have been!

Pam, I’ve been twice blessed. I was graced with the opportunity to hear him speak in Vancouver a couple years ago and now in Seattle a week ago. The Seattle series of events were podcasted and broadcasted live and on-demand for free on the ‘Net in twenty-odd languages. So I was able to watch him on the days I wasn’t able to go.