Mother’s Day Wishes

Mother’s Day is this Sunday. And since companies have been deluging us with advertising reminding us all of this fact since April, I won’t ask if you mailed a card/figured out a gift/unplugged your phone.

I am a mother (And a daughter of a mother, for that matter). And, like a lot of mothers, what I really want for Mother’s Day is some sleep, the freedom to take a nap (or two!). Maybe read uninterrupted by requests to get a glass of water, find someone’s keys, weigh in on what Pokemon I’d like to be, or watch a sports highlight. Bliss.

It’s hard, I think, for one day to bear the load of gratitude children and husbands and partners want to bestow on mothers–I know I always feel an inordinate amount of pressure to make sure my mother-in-law has a great day, and that I get some fun myself.

But, since we can, let’s just imagine what we’d like best for a treat. I’ll start:

an ARC of Loretta Chase‘s Your Scandalous Ways.

That bookcase, above (it only costs $3,990).

A Pucci scarf.

Not having to wait until December to see the movie version of Twilight, Stephenie Meyer‘s brilliant YA vampire book.

Iced coffee and a cupcake with my best friend, the Picky Vegetarian, who lives in Portland, OR.

. . . And an extravagant gift certificate to Amazon.

What are you longing for ? What are you doing for your mom? If you’re a mom, what are you hoping for this Sunday?

Megan

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Susan Wilbanks

Thanks to various statements by my 4-year-old daughter over the last few days, I know that I’m getting some kind of craft involving her handprints that they’ve been working on at daycare and that she and her daddy are planning to make me waffles. And we’ll probably send flowers to our own mothers, since that’s what we usually do for birthdays and Mother’s Day.

Like you, I’d love time to read uninterrupted. And if we’re talking BIG treats…I want a vacation. A real one, at least a week long, and not visiting family or going to a conference. We had a nice long weekend getaway for our anniversary this year, thanks to my MIL flying into Seattle to babysit, but we haven’t had a vacation vacation since 2003.

Lois

Well, I’m a mom of a fuzzier brand of child, and just once, I sure would love for her to empty out her own litter box, but I seriously doubt that’ll happen.

Though if it ever does, she’ll be on The Tonight Show showing it off. πŸ™‚

Happy Mother’s Day!

Lois

We usually keep it simple all around. For our mothers, my husband and I send cards including artwork from the grandchildren.

As for me, it’s a tradition for the husband and kids to make me breakfast in bed. It’s fun to pretend to still be asleep after they’ve clanged every pan around and set off the fire alarm. πŸ™‚

Okay, Blogger just ate my comment, so here goes again!

Lois, I also only have “fuzzy children”, and they don’t get an allowance. But if they did, I would like them to buy me some of those cupcakes! And a copy of “Moda a firenze,” which I have been lusting after for quite a while. πŸ™‚

And if your cat ever does learn how to empty her own litter, please let me know how that was done!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

This is really KEIRA SOLEORE. Blogger hates me at the moment.

We’ll be calling both sets of grandparents and one sibling up for the day. We’ll send flowers to one and flowers also to a friend.

And for me. I want…nothing…meaning, I get enough cosseting as is.

Ammanda, you get a cupcake from me on their behalf in July. How’s that?

Elena, thanks for that hilarious image as always.

Lois wrote, “Though if it ever does, she’ll be on The Tonight Show showing it off.”

And while, your fuzzy child might not be able to send you a card, her thoughts and feelings are very similar to this: “I love you. Thank you for emptying my litter box. Can you scratch me there?”

Lois

Well, I’ll probably never be able to tell you, because if that day were to come, I’d probably have a heart attack first. πŸ˜‰

But still, one never knows. Anything’s possible. . . really. πŸ™‚

Lois, who would also like it if Kitty gave me a treat once in a while! LOL

We sent my mother in law flowers (or, let’s say I sent her flowers and put my husband’s name on the card)

All I want is for my kids (adults) to remember. I’d love flowers but a card will do. Or a phone call. (don’t you love that commercial where mothers from all over the world faint dead away when their children phone them on Mother’s Day?)

Oh, I’d also like the furry children not to throw up hair balls , to go inside the box, and to not fight.

Is this asking too much????

Lois, who would also like it if Kitty gave me a treat once in a while!

“Happy Mother’s Day, Mommy! Cuz I luv you I left you a present — a mousie on yr pillow…” πŸ˜‰

Susan, I haven’t had a family-less vacation since my son was born, eight and three quarters years ago.

My husband was just saying he wanted just us to go away somewhere sometime next year.

And for all you feline and canine Moms, Happy Mother’s Day! Meow, Woof, etc.!

Kwana

Can I play? I’d like a day real day for me. So I’m visiting my mom and grandmother the day before and hoping to not get into fights with the teen on mother’s day. That would be nice.

For a dream gift I’d love a real vacation with just the DH like we had BC (before children) maybe to the islands. Something not attached to work. But that’s a dream.

Deb Marlowe

I want a day with no bickering!

Or a writer’s retreat like Elena’s!

Hmm. Actually I’d like both, please!

Santa

Apparantly, I am getting tons of artwork and cards from the kiddies. My youngest keeps depositing works of art on my nightstand.

Supposedly, I am to stay in bed in the morning and they will be making breakfast for my from recipes they got off the Food Network. Really big, complicated recipes, so it looks like cereal and milk for me, lol.

I got my mother and mother-in-law hanging plants seeds from one of the kids’ fundraisers. Unfortunately, I don’t know where I put them soooo they may be getting them as ‘Hello Summer’ presents!

Happy Mother’s Day to all!