Uncategorized

Julia Quinn Stole My Man

Well, not really.

But she did sorta steal my model. As far as I know A Reputable Rake was the first romance cover to use model Ben Whitaker, so naturally I thought he was my model. But Julia says she picked him–picked him–for the cover of her newest release, Mr. Cavendish, I Presume.

Look at this!!!!!!

See? He looks happy to be on my cover and a bit surly on Julia’s. What conclusion would you make comparing the two?

If these are not enough for you, here are more images of Ben Whitaker

And here is more discussion of him.

I tell you, this Julia is really something. She also stole my model from The Vanishing Viscountess; took him for The Lost Duke of Wyndham.

Check this out:

Of course, this model is the popular Nathan Kamp. And he’s been around, so I guess neither Julia nor I can claim him.

But, Ben? That’s another story.

Watch Julia and me duke it out over dukes and other cover heroes next Sunday. New York Times best-selling author and double RITA winner, Julia Quinn will be our Risky Regencies guest Sunday Oct 26, and she’s answering my interview questions, and discussing The Lost Duke of Wyndham and Mr. Cavendish, I Presume, two very connected books. She’ll also be giving away one signed JQ book, maybe one with a hunky hero. So don’t forget to stop by.

I actually think Julia’s and my covers are terrific. All of them. Which one is your favorite and why?

(Aren’t you proud of me? I got through the whole blog without once reminding you that Scandalizing the Ton is still in bookstores and available online….Oops. Well, I almost made it.)

My contest is still running on my website. Win my backlist book of your choice!

Michelle Willingham

LOL. They are wonderful men, aren’t they? And I adore the cover of The Vanishing Viscountess.

But I got Nathan Kamp on Her Warrior King. :p

I didn’t even recognize Nathan Kamp as Her Warrior King! No wonder he is popular. He can look so different on each cover.

But forget that…Who is the chest…er…cover model on Her Warrior Slave?

Joanna Waugh

Mr. Whitaker is definitely MY idea of what a hero should look like! Quite, quite yummy!

I think they are all lovely covers! I really like the style of the two connected Quinns–they remind me of the movie posters for “P&P” ’05 and “Becoming Jane”

The heroines on those covers look familiar, too! I think I read somewhere that the brunette is a soap opera actress or something, but the blonde looks recognizable, too.

Diane, Ben Whitaker looks rakishly confident on your cover, and dark and brooding on Julia’s cover — and isn’t variety the spice of life? 😉

As to which Julia Quinn cover I like best, I’d have to say
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever, because I always love books with books pictured on the cover.

Cheri2628

I love all of these covers. I see Nathan Kamp everywhere. I read in an interview that he has been on about 400 covers!

I am glad to learn the ID of the other model Ben Whitaker. He looks so different on the 2 covers that I wouldn’t have known it was the same man. He is gorgeous! I hope to see more of him! 😉

Don’t we all want to see more of him, cheri!

Cara, leave it to you to find a totally unique take on covers. But, it’s okay. Todd is not watching. You can drool along with the rest of us!

Amanda, what heroines? Are there heroine’s on the covers?

All these covers are great. I may be weird, but I am not much into headless male torso covers. I like to see heroes’ faces because they can reveal intelligence and character. Otherwise it’s all just beefcake. Not that I don’t enjoy the sight of pretty muscles; I just like to know there are brains along with the brawn. 🙂

Ladyhawk

I agree with Cara about Ben’s different looks, but I must admit that I like the Rake better. Perhaps it’s simply a more inviting look, ie, ‘come with me.’ The other is more forbidding, sort of an ‘if you dare.’
~Judy

Hah! If we’re playing Degrees Of Separation From Nathan Kamp and Julia Quinn, then I’ll win hands down every time.

…wait for this…

They

are

both

from

Seattle.

I said it all here.

Hee hee, Janet. I knew you would roll your eyes at this blog.

Of course, I must point out that the only chest in this set of covers is on The Vanishing Viscountess, so there really isn’t much “mantitty” here; merely two very handsome men. I like to see handsome heroes on bookcovers.

Keira, of course they are from Seattle. All the cool people are, right?

Judy, I agree with you about the Rake, but then I’m biased. I really do like Julia’s covers, though.

Joanna, I just wanted to say welcome to the Riskies!

Elena, I’m not much for headless covers of any kind but Michelle Willingham’s Her Warrior’s Slave is pretty hot.

Tessa McDermid

I liked all of the covers – and the words inside, too! A friend keeps getting a headless heroine on her books because the art department thinks the heroine’s eyes would look better as a different shade than the one presented in the book. Hence, the top of the head (and the wrong colored eyes) have to be cut off.

M.
M.

Haha! Best post title ever!

Santa

I think all those dukes, viscounts, rakes and Misters are equally delicious, as are these books.

Wasn’t there a cover model at the NJ conference last year? I don’t remember his name but I’d recognize him anywhere. Alas, all the single ladies I was with were too shy to go up to him and introduce themselves.

Sigh. To paraphrase the cranky neighbor from ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’, “Aw, changes to throw caution to the wind are wasted on the single. 😉

Santa, honey, the next time we are at a conference together and their is even a single male cover model around stick with me! I will go right up to him and will not leave until we both have a provocative cover photo type picture made with him! I’m a widow, but I am NOT dead!

I’m with you, O Divine One. There are heroines on these covers? Kris Kennedy, my fellow Pixie Chick, just posted her cover for her debut book on her website! Almost gave me heart failure! That guy is gorgeous! Take a gander at kriskennedy.com

I love Anna “La Campbell” s covers for Claiming the Courtesan and Untouched because they look like gorgeous paintings.

The cover for A Respectable Rake happens to be one of my favorites as well.

That would be A Reputable Rake ! Can you tell it was a long day at Wal-Mart today?

Santa

I’m with you, Louisa! I’m happily married but, as they say, just because you’re on a diet doesn’t mean you can’t look at the menu. 😉

Louisa and Santa, I want to be around when you two accost the cover model. (Just to hold the camera….(g)). And why am I not surprised that Louisa would actually do it?

And, Santa, I love your analogy and not surprised it is a food one.

Tessa, why can’t the art dept photoshop in different color eyes?

m, I thought my post title rather catchy as well!

Lois

You know, I can’t even tell that is him on both of those covers, he just looks so different! LOL But Nathan Kamp, oh yeah, can’t miss him. Sure feels like he’s on half of all the books I own here! LOL 🙂

Lois

Lois, way to make me spit out my coffee! That is tooo funny!

Love Romance Passion

Lost Duke – the almost kiss is sexy, if only the girl wouldn’t look so ‘ehhh get away from me.’ then it would be perfect. All the other covers have the couple separated/not interacting.

I’m actually writing a series of posts on the next Fabio model. Who will grace 400+ covers next sort of thing. This was a great post lol!

kwhood

All about Ben Whitaker and his model work!

Thanks, kwhood. I didn’t know of some of those covers.