Risky Regencies

Wish Lists

In my family, everyone makes wish lists around this time of year. It just makes holiday gift-giving so much simpler and avoids painful mistakes. There’s still a small element of surprise because we purposely make our lists long, not expecting to get everything on them and of course some items are a bit open-ended.

On my list this year there are the usual reference books including this one. My obsession with riflemen will not be satisfied until I’ve read every available firsthand account and I’ve barely begun.

I am hoping that some gaping holes in my DVD collection will be filled.

And there are always (figurative, not literal) gaps in my keeper shelf to be filled: books by favorite authors I’ve either had to borrow or not been able to find at all though friends with similar tastes rave about them. Some are hard to find. Luckily, my husband enjoys the challenge.

So what else is out there for us historical romance/Jane Austen junkies?

There’s always some fun stuff at the Pemberley shop at Cafe Press. I already own the “I blame Jane” T-shirt but now I am drooling over the new collection of magnets, such as this one and the one at the top.

The Jane Austen Centre has some cool holiday offerings. There’s a Regency straw bonnet you can trim yourself. And how about your own portrait of Mr. Darcy, printed on canvas?

For just a tiny splurge, check out The Three Graces’ Georgian jewelry section. There are all sorts of lovely baubles, including these diamond day night earrings. One can wear just the top part for day and attach the dangles for evening. So practical and only $5,450!

So what’s on your holiday wish list, fantasy or otherwise?

Elena
www.elenagreene.com

Deb Marlowe

Great list, Elena! I love the T-shirt.

I’m afraid I cheated on my list already! I put the DVD of Cranford on my list, but then I got an email advertising 40% off DVDs at Borders, and I had to order it. 40% off! How could I resist?

If any of you ladies haven’t seen Cranford yet–definitely add it to your lists–it’s fabulous!

Okay, Deb, I went looking on the Borders site for the 40% off discount, but it wasn’t there!
Darn!

But I can put it on my list.

My husband and I want a Kindle. And there is a teeny laptop by Asus, perfect for travel, that I’d like, only $300. And, of course we pine for Iphones, too. We are definitely into gizmos!

I’m going to try my best to stay within my Christmas Club limit this year (which means that list above is unlikely). We’ll see how that goes.

Deb Marlowe

The discount came by email a couple of weeks ago, Diane, sorry! Are you a Borders rewards member? I think it came because of that program…

I like gadgets too! I’d love to be able to swing a new laptop. We’ll see! Now that my kids are getting a little older, all of their wishes are expensive!

Oh, these are all so wonderful! I love the magnets in particular.

Deb, I have seen Cranford — and enjoyed it extremely.

On my wish list…I don’t know. I’m trying to cut down on, you know, stuff. But maybe something to hook my ipod up to when I’m at my computer so that I can listen to music without earphones…

Or maybe a magic medicine to give my cats to make them behave! 🙂 (They’ve taken to jumping onto the tops of open doors, and climbing into the kitchen cabinets…)

My family is on a strict budget this year, so I’ve tried to ask for and give books! (we need to pump up the publishing biz, you know…) But I also love the jewelry at Tartx (they have a new Madame de Pompadour necklace) and all the doodads at Unemployed Philosophers Guild. The Cranford DVD would be nice, too!

And btw “Dance” is fabulous! One of my favorite romances of all. Get a copy if you possibly can!!

Sorry about all those blank lines at the bottom of the post earlier. I’ve no idea why Blogger inserted them. Thanks for scrolling down far enough to comment!

I will have to rent Cranford first though I expect it’ll end up on my wish list next year.

Amanda, you’re not the only one to rave about DANCE. You’d think they’d reprint some of those books, wouldn’t you?

Also, I just heard today that there’s a first edition of P&P on Ebay. Bad condition, but it should still fetch a high price. Not a biggie for me, though. I don’t buy books for their age or rarity, just to read. Or hope to read someday! 🙂

Lois

Oh geez, this year I’m not thinking wish list (though my amazon.com lists are pretty full LOL). . . we’ll be lucky if we can go out for sis and my birthdays next month! LOL 🙂 (but sure hoping if that can happen we can pick up a book or two since we’re out anyway. . . but we’ll see!) 🙂

Lois

“You’d think they’d reprint some of those books, wouldn’t you?”

I wish they would re-print “Bliss,” which came before “Dance.” I read it years ago from the library, and it was great–though not as good as “Dance”! Would love to have my own copy.

Ooh, several of your things are on my list, too. I would like a new pair of shoes, specifically navy blue Mary Jane Doc Martens.

And some books, of course.

I loved Cranford, too, Deb.

Christmas. I don’t even want to think about it.

Todd

Well, I haven’t even started making lists. I usually start when my relatives phone up and ask me what I want, and I have no idea.

As Cara said, we don’t really need more “stuff.” But there are many books out there I’d love to read…or own…or hopefully both…

And there are always CDs and the like.

Todd-who-would-really-like-a-couple-of-extra-rooms-in-his-house

Bill

I’d love at least two more rooms in my house too! If I only had time to build a garden office in which to write…

Here’s an idea folks…for those don’t really need more stuff…why not ask others to donate that money in your name to a worthy charity? It might do someone else a lot of good…it is the season in which to give!

Bill, that’s a really good idea. I know someone who made donations to Heifer International in peoples’ names in lieu of gifts.

I’m all for simplifying Christmas–in my family we limit the gift-giving in several ways and my church ladies group recently held a workshop called Unplug the Christmas Machine. It’s about creating the holiday you and your family really want as opposed to the idealized images you see in TV commercials. There’s a companion book and I highly recommend it to anyone who dreads the holidays.