Risky Regencies

Jane Austen Mad Libs

Did you do Mad Libs as a kid? I certainly did. I loved how the random words we all submitted turned into wacky stories.

I didn’t know until recently that they were still published, but they are! So I was happily able to buy my nephew some Star Wars Mad Libs recently…

Now, just for the heck of it, I’m going to try to do one myself: a Jane Austen Mad Lib.

So: please suggest words that fit the following categories, and then later today I’ll post the finished version!

ABSTRACT IDEA:
ADVERB:
KIND OF PERSON:
POSSESSION:
MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD:
DEGREE/EXTENT:
PLURAL NOUN:
ANOTHER PLURAL NOUN:
PLACE:
GROUP OF HUMANS:
ANOTHER MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD:

So just suggest as many as you like, and I will take a random assortment of suggestions, and we’ll see what we get!

And don’t forget: next Tuesday, we’ll be discussing the Leslie Howard version of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL!

Cara King, who owns many plural nouns

Lois

Hmm, been a while since I did these sorts of things! 🙂

ABSTRACT IDEA: happiness
ADVERB: immediately
KIND OF PERSON: astronaut
POSSESSION: computer
MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD: mom
DEGREE/EXTENT:
PLURAL NOUN: cats
ANOTHER PLURAL NOUN: books
PLACE: Mars
GROUP OF HUMANS: politicians
ANOTHER MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD: grandpa

Geez, I’m bad (and shouldn’t even mention it, it’s embarrassing!), I actually had to look up what adverb was — been too long since Grammar School English class! LOL

Lois

Cara, you are so clever!

Here are mine, with an eye to keeping them Regency:

ABSTRACT IDEA: roundaboutation
ADVERB: excessively
KIND OF PERSON: Rake (who else?)
POSSESSION: voucher (to Almack’s)
MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD:younger son

DEGREE/EXTENT: thoroughly
PLURAL NOUN: kittens
ANOTHER PLURAL NOUN: potatoes
PLACE: Boston
GROUP OF HUMANS: soldiers
ANOTHER MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD: brother-in-law

What fun, Cara!! I love Mad Libs.

ABSTRACT IDEA: wackiness
ADVERB: swimmingly
KIND OF PERSON: a working stiff
POSSESSION: box
MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD: nanny
DEGREE/EXTENT: certain
PLURAL NOUN: jobs
ANOTHER PLURAL NOUN: trees
PLACE: museum
GROUP OF HUMANS: dustmen
ANOTHER MEMBER OF FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD: cook

Excellent! I’m processing the first AUSTEN MAD LIB, and will put it here in a comment in a moment; meanwhile, here’s the list for the second one:

— WORD IMPLYING LEVEL OF ABUNDANCE (E.G. SURPLUS, LACK, ETC ETC)
— ACTIVITY INVOLVING MORE THAN ONE PERSON
— A PERSON WHO TAKES PART IN THAT ACTIVITY
— ANOTHER NAME FOR A PERSON WHO TAKES PART IN THAT ACTIVITY
— A POSITION OF THE BODY (E.G. STAND, SIT, LIE, ETC ETC)
— ANOTHER POSITION OF THE BODY
— A FORM OF COMMUNICATION
— PERIOD OF TIME
— ADJECTIVE
— ADVERB
— A GATHERING OF PEOPLE
— A FEMALE RELATIVE
— A PLACE

Okay, here’s the first set. I was originally going to combine them, but I like them all so well that I did each on its own:

LOIS: It is a happiness immediately acknowledged, that an astronaut in possession of a good computer, must be in want of a mom.

However little known the cats or books of such a man may be on his first entering Mars, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding politicians, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their grandpas.

DIANE GASTON: It is a roundaboutation excessively acknowledged, that a rake in possession of a good voucher to Almack’s, must be in want of a younger son.

However vastly known the chits or inexpressibles of such a man may be on his first entering Almack’s, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding dukes, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their governesses.

JANE O: It is an honor precisely acknowledged, that a fool in possession of a good sword, must be in want of a grandmother.

However mildly known the teacups or teeth of such a man may be on his first entering Cairo, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding dragoons, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their infant daughters.

SUSAN WILBANKS: It is a justice boldly acknowledged, that a commoner in possession of a good musket, must be in want of a sister.

However thoroughly known the kittens or potatoes of such a man may be on his first entering Boston, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding soldiers, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their brothers-in-law.

KEIRA SOLEORE: It is a wackiness swimmingly acknowledged, that a working stiff in possession of a good box, must be in want of a nanny.

However certainly known the jobs or trees of such a man may be on his first entering a museum, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding dustmen, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their cooks.

Though I think I will go ahead and combine for #2…

Thanks for playing along! This is fun…

Cara 🙂

false teeth
spitoons
the New World
river rafters
distant cousin thrice removed

janegeorge

Of teacups and teeth, working stiffs and inexpressibles! What a fun addition to my morning. 🙂

Susan Wilbanks

Ooh, more! I need another break, so here goes…

— WORD IMPLYING LEVEL OF ABUNDANCE (E.G. SURPLUS, LACK, ETC ETC): dearth
— A PLACE: Seattle

WORD IMPLYING LEVEL OF ABUNDANCE: bountiful
ACTIVITY INVOLVING MORE THAN ONE PERSON: snogging
A PERSON WHO TAKES PART IN THAT ACTIVITY: snogger
ANOTHER NAME FOR A PERSON WHO TAKES PART IN THAT ACTIVITY: snoggee
A POSITION OF THE BODY: missionary
ANOTHER POSITION OF THE BODY: sheersasan (yogic head-stand)
A FORM OF COMMUNICATION: grunts
PERIOD OF TIME: era
ADJECTIVE: rainy
ADVERB: gloomily
A GATHERING OF PEOPLE: gaggle
A FEMALE RELATIVE: mother-in-law’s sister’s sister-in-law’s cousin
A PLACE:

Forgot one..

A PLACE: Beaches of Brighton

Bwahahaha… This is simply marvelous, Cara!!

Okay, here’s M’s version of the first Austen Mad Lib:

It is an aloofness morosely acknowledged, that an undertaker in possession of a good stamp collection, must be in want of a creepy uncle.

However well known the false teeth or spittoons of such a man may be on his first entering the New World, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding river rafters, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their distant cousins thrice removed.

🙂

Bertram St James

I, too, resorted to asking what an “adverb” is! (For the little that I knew about them was, that the delightful TeleVision Device has far too many adverbs which interrupt my favourite programmes!)

So, here are my answers. Do I receive an “A”? (Of course I do.)

— WORD IMPLYING LEVEL OF ABUNDANCE (E.G. SURPLUS, LACK, ETC ETC): when one’s tailor is away, and one has an immense (and now unfulfilled) need for a new coat
— ACTIVITY INVOLVING MORE THAN ONE PERSON: washing a cat (I have seen this dread event take place, and so I know it takes more than two people as well!)
— A PERSON WHO TAKES PART IN THAT ACTIVITY: a fool
— ANOTHER NAME FOR A PERSON WHO TAKES PART IN THAT ACTIVITY: the fool’s wife
— A POSITION OF THE BODY (E.G. STAND, SIT, LIE, ETC ETC): lounge elegantly
— ANOTHER POSITION OF THE BODY: stand elegantly
— A FORM OF COMMUNICATION: TeleVision
— PERIOD OF TIME: the Regency Period
— ADJECTIVE: elegant
— ADVERB: elegantly
— A GATHERING OF PEOPLE: a house party
— A FEMALE RELATIVE: Aunt Gorgon
— A PLACE: a pizza restaurant which has a TeleVision Device

By the by, Milady King, I hereby tender my apologies for the pizza which somehow ended up on your sofa while I was watching Lost. I blame the cat. (Why not? Everyone else does.)

yrs, in great elegance,

Bertie the Beau

Kate Willoughby

These were hilarious!

Bertie, I’m not sure you entirely understood…ah, never mind.

Thanks, Kate!

So, here’s Austen Mad-Lib #2, which has an assortment of all your suggestions!

Elizabeth Bennet had been obliged, by the dearth of dukes, to recline for two washings of the cat; and during part of that time, Mr. Darcy had been kneeling near enough for her to hear a text message between him and Mr. Bingley, who came from the cat-washing for a few eras, to press his friend to join it.

“Come, Darcy,” said he, “I must have you wash the cat. I hate to see you in the missionary position by yourself in this rainy manner. You had much better wash the cat.”

“I gloomily shall not. You know how I detest it, unless I am particularly acquainted with my snogger. At such a caucus as this it would be insupportable. Your mother-in-law’s sister’s sister-in-law’s cousins are engaged, and there is not another woman in Seattle whom it would not be a punishment to me to wash the cat with.”

Okay, here’s Austen Mad Lib #3, if anyone wants to give it a go!

— UNIT OF TIME:

— AN EMOTION ONE MIGHT FEEL FOR ANOTHER PERSON: contempt
— ANOTHER SUCH EMOTION: desire
— A NOUN: giraffe
— TRANSITIVE VERB (a verb that takes an object): lay

M.
M.

Hahaha! I’m going quote my madlib for today’s blogpost!

I do believe this is the weirdest one yet:

Austen Mad Lib #3 becomes:

“From the very beginning–from the first century, I may almost say–of my acquaintance with you, your good posture, impressing me with sooooo much belief of your perfection, your unreliability, and your piglike disdain of the chocolates of others, were such as to form the groundwork of camaraderie on which succeeding events have built so immovable a desire; and I had not known you a millennium before I felt that you were the last giraffe in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to defenestrate.”

Todd

Defenestrating giraffes is indeed hard work; you have to throw them out of a very high window.

Todd-who-if-he-must-defenestrate-something-prefers-to-defenestrate-zebras

Zebras bite. A lot. The giraffe might be preferable for your defenestration experiments.

This comment has been removed by the author.

My son loves Mad Libs! We do them very often, only he likes to read the mad lib AND fill them out, for additional hilarity.

(and I didn’t realize you had posted some of them below when I first commented. Duh on me).

So thanks!