Greetings from England

Greetings from England, where I arrived abnormally early yesterday morning for a visit to the Old Man Who Is Not a Tree, and spent the rest of the day reminding him who I was and drinking tea.

So absolutely no nuggets of interesting English stuff–yet. I’m off to London today and plan to take the trip up the river to Greenwich from Westminster. I remembered to pack the camera and IF I remember to take it with me, remember that I have it, and take some photos… well, there may be pix. No promises and probably not as good as this.

Other activities–trying to get together with various people, at least one more trip to London to meet my lovely editor and my lovely new editor who’s inheriting me, meeting up with friends and who knows what… oh, and the British Museum and the V&A and possibly a couple of guided walking tours (I claim tourism status–I’m qualified).

And I really recommend a book I started reading on the plane and possibly left there–Author Author by David Lodge–a novel about Henry James.

What are you up to?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Lois

Have lots of fun, and I’m definitely jealous. πŸ™‚ Me, nothing much going on here, just reading and typing on away! πŸ™‚ Hope you get plenty of pictures!

Lois

Pea green with envy, Janet! How is the weather. I hope it “stays fine” for your trip. Do lots of touristy things on behalf of us poor schmoes stuck stateside.

Oh, Janet, thanks for even thinking about sharing your trip with us. I’m with Louisa. PEA GREEN.

Elizabeth Rolls

Definitely pea-green here in Australia. Janet, are you familiar with the Geffrye Museum? It’s out on Kingsland Road. They have a fabulous sequence of rooms set up for various periods. Just ordinary domestic interiors and they have lots of handy info and books on interiors and everyday living if you actually have a day to stop and study. I didn’t, but even the take away leaflets were really good. And they let you take photos. Worth a stop if you have the time. Look out for the armadillo!

Or the Army museum in Chelsea where you can see the Waterloo diorama!

I am packing to leave for yoga retreat tomorrow, and trying to do some revisions! No England for me πŸ™

I remember the Geffrye Museum! It was tremendous fun (but I love decorative arts museums in general)

Elizabeth Rolls

Oh, yes! The Waterloo diorama is fantastic. And it’s only a walk to the V&A from the Army Museum

Judy

“Oh to be in England, now that spring is here.” Robert Browning had it right. Have fun!

I swear I had posted something here when this blog first went up. But the brilliant comment’s disappeared.

Janet, your reference to your dad and Ents always makes me laugh. Looking forward to your photographs and stories about how your dad’s doing. Has he ever read any of your books? I wonder what he’d have to say about them.

Today I am enjoying seeing that big yellow blob in the sky–the sun, I think?

Have a great time, I heard about that Henry James book, quite intrigued!

Jane George

Have a fabulous time, Janet!

And you, too, Amanda. I’m pea green about your yoga retreat!

Helen

Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun looking forward to seeing some photos.

I am going to be spending the weekend with the family and hopefully getting lots of reading done.

Have Fun
Helen

Update: Looking for the cable to attach camera to laptop and now wondering whether I brought it, tho I really intended to…

Rainy and cool here, Greenwich was spectacular and I discovered a new favorite place, a fan museum in a beautifully restored Georgian house. Today I’m allegedly working but will be going out to meet some writer friends later.

Keira, I think my dad has finally accepted me as a female presence who makes tea on demand and it’s a good working relationship!

He read Dedication and made the comment that he didn’t think he’d be giving it to the church jumble sale (it wasn’t his copy but I don’t think that’s what he meant!)

He may not give DEDICATION to his church jumble sale, but he did read it. I like him more and more. Would you like to visit Seattle next? I would welcome a reliable, efficient tea-maker. πŸ™‚

I’ve posted three of my abysmal photos on twitter: