Uncategorized

May I Have The Honor of an Introduction?

I feel as if I’ve finally obtained those coveted tickets to Almack’s! Goodness. I’m really here. At the Risky Regencies. (fanning self) Everyone here is so deliciously wonderful, a few are even notorious. Is my gown is fashionable enough? What if I say the wrong thing to the person, or the right thing to the wrong gentleman? What if no one asks me to dance? Should I have the ratafia or the orgeat? Perhaps it would be safer to have nothing and refuse all offers to dance. I might fall or otherwise make a spectacle of myself. Life is fraught, I tell you. Simply fraught.

Hello there. I’m Carolyn Jewel and this is my Riskies debut. Be gentle for this is my first time in the social whirl that is the ton.

A little bit about myself, then. Right. Carolyn Jewel, as mentioned. I write historical romance for Berkley Sensation. My most recent historical is Scandal and Indiscreet will be out this October. I write paranormals, too, but not Regency set ones, so ’nuff said.

I love the Regency era and I very much look forward to posting about all things Regency and Risky. While I was writing Indiscreet I learned a great deal about Britain’s presence in the Ottoman Empire during the time period. Any opinions on a post or two about this subject? Until next time,

Carolyn

azteclady

Welcome, Ms Jewell! Very much looking forward to having you here regularly.

Jane Austen

Carolyn,

Have you ever read the book “Mistress of the Elgin Marbles”? It’s a non-fiction book about Mary Nisbet and how she saved the Marbles. It’s a very interesting book and if my history serves correctly I believe that Greece was under Ottoman Empire rule during the time. Mary is perhaps one of the most fascinating women I’ve read about AND the book will change how you view the Marbles. I understand returning looted items to countries they were looted from, but without Lady Elgin, the Marbles would be gone and they weren’t looted they were bought. It’s very interesting and I think would make a great fiction work as well. Although truth be told Susan Nagel’s book reads like fiction. Mary is also a main character in Stealing Athena by Karen Essex who wrote Leonardo’s Swans. Just a thought….and an interesting person.

M.
M.

Well, hello! How nice to meet a new Risky! I imagine that switching from Regency romance to contemporary paranormal takes care of any pesky little flagging-of-writerly-interest problems…

Welcome officially! I’d love to hear about the Ottoman Empire.

Miz Austen, I was very disappointed by Nisbet’s book but everyone else seems to adore it. I’d recommend Sultry Climates by Ian Littlewood about the lure of the east and the Grand Tour (someone I lent my copy to suggested it should have been retitled the STD Chronicles).

Andrea Pickens
Andrea Pickens

Welcome Carolyn!

Love both your historicals and your paranormals, so it’s very exciting to have you here. Can’t wait to have you share your research —and your humor—with us!

Jane Austen

Janet…that’s really too bad. Why didn’t you like the book? I thought Nagel’s style was very engaging.

Welcome Carolyn!!!!
It is so wonderful to have you with us.
You must not worry about decorum and proper behavior around us because we are all improper! So you should fit in just fine.

I just returned from taking Amanda to the airport for her return flight to Oklahoma. Our exciting NYC adventure is over…sniff.

Ottoman empire! Go for it!!!!

Jane Austen, I enjoyed Mistress of the Elgin Marbles very much (not as much as Beloved Emma or Georgiana, but very much). I too believe Lady Elgin saved the Marbles and they should stay in the British museum! Period.

Janet, Sultry Climates is available for the Kindle so I bought it!

(note to everyone: stop mentioning interesting research books. Think of my Visa bill!)

Carolyn

Thank you for all the kind comments! I’ll have to check out the Elgin Marbles book, sounds really interesting. And yes, Greece was under Ottoman Rule at the time. Just about everything on the other side of Europe was, ostensibly, under Ottoman Rule.

I’ll do some posts on Regency era Ottoman Empire!

As for humor, I’ll try, but I make no guarantees of actual humor being present. YMMV, of course.

Judy

Welcome Carolyn, as the lovely Diane has mentioned, no need to stand on formalities here. A gossipy coze is more the thing. 🙂

Welcome, Carolyn! I am so excited you are here! So much I am using exclamation points as though the universe really WAS on fire!

Anyway, I would be very interested in English influence in places we wouldn’t normally know about, such as the Ottoman Empire. I barely know about it now, at any time, myself.

Yay!

Jane George

Bienvenue, Carolyn! (With such a late post I had to say something a bit different.)

I’m thrilled to have a fellow SFA-RWA chapter member as an official Risky! I look forward to Wednesdays. 🙂

Officially welcome to the Riksies, Carolyn!! (sorry I am late–traveling home today, and now staring at the mountain of dirty laundry and unread mail, is giving me a headache, LOL). I often talk about my non-Regency stories, so feel free to let us know about your paranormals, and I would LOVE to know more about the Ottoman Empire in the early 19th century!

I also enjoyed the Nisbet book very much! And recently read a historical novel (though I’m too tired to remember the title) which paralleled the stories of Lady Elgin and Aspasia…

Welcome to the Riskies, Carolyn! Ditto on bringing on the Ottoman Empire. I’m always interested in less explored aspects of Regency era history.

And ditto also on talking about your paranormals. That should be fun for us.

Welcome, Carolyn!!!

And I, too, would love to hear more about the Ottoman Empire…

Jane Austen

This comment has been removed by the author.