Hello everyone! First a bit of good news–Countess of Scandal is finally available in ebook. Check it out here!
A couple months ago, my day job was the victim of budget cuts, and since then I’ve been living the life of the Stay At Home Author. How is that, you ask? Well, terribly glam of course. I wear evening gowns all day and lounge around on my Victorian chaise eating raspberry truffles from Belgium while my secretaries jot down my story ideas. Not. (Except the truffle part. Except usually they’re Fun Size Kit Kats). It’s not bad, though. I get to slob around in my pajamas until long after lunch.
So let’s take a look at a typical day in the life of an author! Say, it’s Thursday:
1) Wake up because dogs are yelling to be fed. Was having a lovely dream of walking on a Greek beach with Javier Bardem, but now that’s gone. Stumble around making tea and putting Kibbles in bowls. Eat a yogurt and a Kit Kat while reading email, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon rankings, Go Fug Yourself, and Cake Wrecks, plus doing some Very Important Research at ShirtlessActors.com. (Please note–this is sadly not a real place, as far as I know. But I do often Google “Richard Armitage shirtless” or “James McAvoy shirtless” to see if something new pops up…)
2) An hour is gone??? How did that happen? Must get the day’s page quota done. I’m working on Laurel McKee’s third book Lady of Seduction (June 2011!) and have about 80 pages or so left to go, plus fill-ins and revisions, with only (gulp!) less than a month to do it. Write one page, wonder if I should check my email to see if something Terribly Important has come up in the last 20 minutes. There hasn’t. Back to the book.
3) Lunchtime! A healthy chicken and greens pita–and a Kit Kat. Or two. Email, shower, dogs walked, real clothes put on (or at least yoga pants and a tee shirt). Should I wrote some more–or watch General Hospital?
4) Laundry and research on next book (an Elizabethan theater story with a sexy Renaissance actor/playwright/spy hero. Must Google “Henry Cavill shirtless” for inspiration). Fiddle around with YA idea. Eat a Kit Kat.
6) My triangle pose is pitifully sloppy. Stop at China King for takeaway dinner on the way home from yoga. Keeping those RWA dresses in mind get steamed shrimp and snow peas instead of lemon chicken and egg roll. Followed by Kit Kats. Can’t understand why dress won’t fasten all the way up the back. Those are “Fun Size” Kit Kats! They’re tiny!
7) Feed dogs their dinner, think about writing more, watch Vampire Diaries instead (I do like “intense, tortured Stefan” a lot!). Call mother back. Make plans with friends for weekend. Read part of a novel. Eat a Kit Kat. Day Over.
See, I told you! Wild glamour all the time. What is your typical day like? What’s your favorite “fun size” candy bar?
And now a very important question for everyone. I desperately need a title for the Elizabethan theater story (it seems Shakespeare in Love is already taken, and the story isn’t about Shakespeare anyway!). Any ideas???