Unexpected Gifts

I hope everyone–especially the mothers–had a Happy Mother’s Day. My in-laws visited for the weekend and we went to the new Workhouse Arts Center, created from the former prison in Lorton, VA. It is a wonderful place where artists create and sell their art, everything from photography to textiles to glass to painting and sculpture. All kinds of creativity.

So it was only fitting that my daughter gave me “art” for mother’s day, a print she found in a thrift shop (she also bought me a necklace and my son gave me chocolates, which was a whole ‘nuther great gift).

I haven’t had time yet to look up what type of soldier this is. I think he’s French…Believe me, I have a few uniform books I can look though to find out. But I love him. Mostly I love that my daughter saw this print and thought of me.

Another thoughtful gift I received recently involved my uncle, aunt and her sister, who is no relation to me. A long time ago my uncle, who lives in Florida, asked me for the Regency Fashion print I’d used for a Christmas card. I sent it to him wondering a bit why he wanted to have it.

Then a few weeks ago, I received a HUGE box in the mail with this gift inside. My aunt’s sister makes these doll wall hangings as a craft. She copied my Regency Fashion print and made a doll of it
Isn’t this clever? Even the face is similar to the print. I love the way she made the hand holding the cape open.

Like my daughter’s gift, this was both unexpected and thoughtful. It went straight to my biggest obsession–The Regency. How grand is that?

Have you received a gift that was both unexpected and incredibly thoughtful?

Remember that my day to blog at Diane’s Blog is Thursdays! Come visit me then too.
Blogging at DianeGaston.com

About diane

Diane Gaston is the RITA award-winning author of Historical Romance for Harlequin Historical and Mills and Boon, with books that feature the darker side of the Regency. Formerly a mental health social worker, she is happiest now when deep in the psyches of soldiers, rakes and women who don’t always act like ladies.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Kim in Hawaii

What treasures you have received from your thoughtful relatives! We had a quiet Mother’s Day in Hawaii after a busy Saturday (my husband performed in a Barbershop musical production).

Maggie Robinson/Margaret Rowe

I love that doll! Makes me want to find the Ackerman print I have somewhere and get creative.

I got a call Saturday from my youngest daughter who lives in Boston. She said that she was having something delivered to me for Mother’s Day. We chatted until she said, “It should be here by now. Go look outside.” There she was in the driveway! AND she brought lemon squares and fruit tarts from a fancy Boston bakery. I’m glad I had her. 🙂

Katharine Ashe

Hi, Diane. What a beautiful doll! And what a truly thoughtful gift.

Years ago after the publication of my first book (under another name), my wonderful mother had the cover flat framed. In the matting, two cut-out hearts snuggle up close to the scrolly gold frame. This gift hangs above my desk as I write each day, so precious and warm with my mother’s love and affection.

Kim, what fun that your husband performed in a Barbershop production!

Maggie, you received the BEST gift of all! I too was blessed that both my children were with me on Mother’s Day

Katherine, your mother must have been so proud of you to have your cover framed in such a loving way. What a wonderful inspiration. And…what book under what name? (your July cover is to DIE for!!

Melinda Hammond
Melinda Hammond

You are blessed with a very thoughtful family, Diane! Mothering Sunday in the UK is celebrated in March, so we have already had our special day: family not too keen on the thought of celerbating twice, but I like the idea!

Lavinia Kent

What wonderful gifts. I am always amazed at the creativity some people show. I don’t know what my family would do if they were forced to shop ahead of time. I always get wonderful presents, but we are a last minute group (except for me who shops a year ahead of time). Lavinia

Melinda, I’m all for two Mothers Days.

Lavinia, I suspect my son’s box of chocolates was a last minute gift…but very tasty all the same!

Judy

How precious to have family so mindful of your interests. The doll is amazing.

catslady

Such meaningful gifts!!! I too had a lovely day. My married daughter and her husband made our family dinner and then they are going to be taking me out to Phantom of the Opera when it comes to town. My other daughter and her boyfriend got me the DVD of Avatar that I loved so much and even better they made a 3 dimensional tree with polished stones and shells that signify our family’s different strengths and direction. Hard to explain but it’s lovely. He is an artist and she too is going to collge for graphic design.

What fabulously thoughtful gifts, Diane!

I got many meals made for me. Yay!

Carol L.

Wow Diane, that doll is an amazing gift.A beautiful doll.Your gifts were really gifts from the heart. 🙂
Hope your Mother’s Day was filled with love and joy.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Jane Austen

Recently my aunt asked me to come to her house and relieve her of some old books. Two of them are leather bound art journals from the 1800s. She asked if I would like them and I looked at her and said “You’re not really going to give me these are you?” I was giddy like a school girl.

Amanda McCabe/Laurel McKee

What wonderful presents!! I’d love it if they took commissions on those dolls (and also if I could visit those thrift stores your daughter found!). My pets sent me cards (aren’t they clever?) and I took my own mom out to brunch. A very nice weekend. 🙂

librarypat
librarypat

The doll is wonderful. She captured the face, the
pose, the clothing, everything perfectly. It is a lovely, thoughtful gift.
The Workhouse Arts Center wasn’t in existence when we lived up there. Will have to check it out when we are back up that way.