Regency Pop Tarts

I am on vacation in New York, visiting Risky Megan. This means I am away from my library of paper inspiration. I have the internet at my fingertips but all I can think about is the awesomeness that is the Pop Tart Store. Genius. Sheer genius.

Now I’m wondering what life in the Regency would have been like if someone had invented Pop Tarts 200 years ago.

Mrs. Porter-Evans: Archibald, dear, Cook has made the most delicious biscuit for the little darlings!

Archibald: What’s that dear? Frederick? Frederick! Stop running around like that Freddie!

Mrs. PE: Biscuit, dear. DUCK!!! It’s jam between slices of puff pastry and covered in frosting! You toast it.

Blam. A rasher of bacon slides across the floor and hits the footman’s boots.

Mrs. PE: Freddie, dear, do stop and Darling Susan, poppet, if you keep spinning you’re going to be— Johnson!

Johnson: On it, Ma’am.

Mrs. PE: Do change your boots, Johnson

Freddie:
May I have another?

Susan: Mama, he’s already had three and I’ve only had two.

Archibald:
No more of those infernal things. And please dismiss the cook.

I don’t think the Regency was ready for Pop Tarts. Agree or disagree

About carolyn

Carolyn Jewel was born on a moonless night. That darkness was seared into her soul and she became an award winning and USA Today bestselling author of historical and paranormal romance. She has a very dusty car and a Master’s degree in English that proves useful at the oddest times. An avid fan of fine chocolate, finer heroines, Bollywood films, and heroism in all forms, she has two cats and a dog. Also a son. One of the cats is his.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

I was sold on NYC when I discovered the Hello Kitty store, which is now the Sanrio Boutique and not the same thing. So I’ll just have to make do with The Strand Book Store.

Where else but NYC would you find a Pop Tart store!

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

I haven’t been to The Pop Tart store but I pass it by all the time. The problem is I can’t just eat one Pop Tart! Particulary the cherry ones. Hope you are having a fantastic time in the city.

Susan/DC
Susan/DC

I’ve always been a fan of cinnamon PopTarts. Having no idea of portion control, I have to limit my intake by not buying them in the first place.

My son lives in Greenwich Village between a store devoted to The Big Lebowski and another devoted to grilled cheese sandwiches. Got to love a city that can support such niche markets (I love grilled cheese even more than cinnamon PopTarts).

As for the Regency, those lovely loose dresses would hide a lot of PopTart consumption before having to be let out, so I say it’s a go.

Yes, so long as they were made with lard and had texture suitable for toasting over an open fire on a fork.

Amanda McCabe/Laurel McKee

I think every time period needs Pop Tarts. Especially cherry ones, and chocolate ones, and S’mores flavor (I would get into way too much trouble at the Pop Tart store)

Amy Kathryn
Amy Kathryn

We took my 13yr old niece to NYC for her fall break to see the ballet, visit museums, get some culture. She went nuts for the pop tart store! I thought I would never get out of there. The Lego store at Rockefeller Center was another winner.

She liked the ballet and museums too but they weren’t as cool as the retail meccas.

The Pop Tart store? OMG Now I have heard it all! I would be in SO much trouble. The strawberry iced ones and the raspberry ones. YUM !! Amazing! Yes, only New York could come up with something like this. And I think your take on Regency children on Pop Tart highs is completely accurate!

librarypat
librarypat

No Pop Tarts for the Regency. They don’t fit with the Regency period breakfast. Now you could serve them at tea.
I used to like them, but the pastry doesn’t taste the same any more. My grandson did bring a grape one over the other day and it was pretty good.

Ooh, I used to love the blueberry ones! Must buy a box. Soon. 🙂

Carolyn

Ah, the glory of Pop Tarts!