Thankful for Boots and Arlo

So Carolyn talked this week about the fashion difference between East and West Coasts in terms of boot wearage, and the day she posted this–before I had even read it–I went and bought a pair of knee-high black boots (these are the VERY ONES I got).

Because, as Carolyn so astutely points out, that is how we roll on this side of the country.

Earlier this week, I sent my agent the novella I’ve been working on FOR EVER, the one I did a short excerpt of a few weeks back. And since then have done no fiction writing, but am THINKING awfully hard about it. Not that that counts.

The Thanksgiving holiday arrives next week, which means that I won’t have to cook for a few days! That is likely what I am most thankful for. I hope to catch up on sleep and hanging out with my husband, too, during those few days off.

One thing that will definitely happen on Thanksgiving is listening to Arlo Guthrie‘s “Alice’s Restaurant;” it’s a Thanksgiving tradition my family and I used to have, and now my husband has taken it up, which is so sweet. So we’ll listen to “the circles and arrows on the back of each one” and laugh on our drive down to South Jersey for turkey.

Of course the food is lovely, too, but I think the annual listening is my favorite part. What does your family do special at Thanksgiving? What are you thankful for?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Judy

Love those “twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
pictures…!” Thinking about it still makes me laugh!

I’m grateful for the gift of laughter that lights a load, warms the heart, and makes the journey immeasurably more pleasant.

I like those boots, Megan! I have a pair that are similar. Maybe it is an East Coast thing. I think we need them more.

We used to visit my inlaws in Florida for Thanksgiving but a few years we switched to doing spring break there. Now we just go to our UU church potluck. No family drama and the food is always interesting. There is turkey but there may also be things like curry or spanakopita. 🙂

Those boots are GORGEOUS!!!!! If I had any reason to wear such great footwear, I’d LOVE a pair.

TG means traveling to Williamsburg, VA to my mother in law’s house. It’s always a bit of a stress where to have TG, who can come, who can’t. We’re all making it this year except my daughter’s boyfriend. Amazing.

Carolyn

Yup. Those are boots all right.

Isobel Carr

Is San Francisco now on the East Coast? Cause there a LOT of boots in SF. I’m wearing a pair today (along with half the other women down town). Mine have curvy zippers, which I love!

Got some great Austrian snow boots that I bought when I lived in Germany. I have NO need for them here in the Deep South, but I can’t bear to part with them as they are gorgeous, warm and make my feet feel good!

Love those black boots!

I will be working this Thanksgiving, darn it. BUT, in this economy I am glad to have a job so I guess I’ll just suck it up and eat a turkey tv dinner and dream of my Mom’s dressing, my SIL’S Italian creme cake and my other SIL’s deviled eggs and turkey! SIGH

Amanda McCabe/Laurel McKee

I thought boots were just a seasonal thing, not so much regional! Those boots are gorgeous–I am lusting for a pair of tall, black pirate-ish boots, but alas can’t find any to fit. But this is my favorite time of fashion year! 🙂

Santa

LOVE Alice’s Restaurant! We also listen to it when we are headed to Long Island for Thanksgiving.

My favorite part is when he’s sitting on the Group W bench, playing with the pencils.