Another Risky Read Along?

I’m filling in for Megan today. I can’t hope to match the elan of Risky Megan, so you’ll have to man-up (or whatever)  and soldier on.

We need another Risky Read Along.

To that end, what book should we read?  I’m looking for specific authors and titles.

Hit me up in the comments for your suggestions and we’ll have a poll later in the week.

Thanks!

About carolyn

Carolyn Jewel was born on a moonless night. That darkness was seared into her soul and she became an award winning and USA Today bestselling author of historical and paranormal romance. She has a very dusty car and a Master’s degree in English that proves useful at the oddest times. An avid fan of fine chocolate, finer heroines, Bollywood films, and heroism in all forms, she has two cats and a dog. Also a son. One of the cats is his.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Amy Kathryn
Amy Kathryn

Wonderful! I so enjoyed the last read along and being introduced to Georgette Heyer and Venetia. I have only had a chance to read a few more but have collected many into my TBR pile.

I don’t know if you are looking for another Heyer but will just mention that Grand Sophy is on big sale and Cotillion was free for kindle as of a day or so ago.

I love Elsie Lee’s regencies but I know they are real hard to find so won’t suggest my favorite. I have nothing but am looking forward to other’s suggestions.

Kat
Kat

I love Heyer so I believe she is good choice, but for something different how about Edith Layton. I love quite a few of her books. The Duke’s Wager is an awesome book but alas hard to find, maybe Layton’s The Choice also a superb and deserving a reread.

Susan in AZ

Jo Beverley, Forbidden. Originally released in 1994, and twice since then. I just saw it at Target today. It’s risky & frisky, about a male virgin and a widow who was an abused wife. The George Michael song “sexual healing” comes to mind…

Amy, thanks for letting us know about the free and almost free Heyers!!!!

Jane George

I second Edith Layton. I unfortunately have not yet had the pleasure of reading a Layton novel.

Artie Mesia

I third Edith Layton.

Coming late to this discussion…

As to availability, I think anything easily available used online would be fair game, FWIW! 🙂

To look at the successful pushing of genre boundaries by a master, we could read Jo Beverley’s “An Arranged Marriage.” (I see it was reissued as a historical, but it was originally published as a Zebra Regency.)

To continue with the always-loved Heyer, we could check out her Georgian world in “These Old Shades,” or look at her inverting her archetypes with “Cotillion.”

Or we could try a classic of old-school Regencies: “Imprudent Lady” by Joan Smith. (Which I always think of as Byron and Jane Austen fall in love, with great wit and satire.) 🙂

Also great: Carla Kelly, Barbara Metzger, or “Lady Elizabeth’s Comet” by Sheila Simonson.

Or for a look at another book that pioneered the expanded Regency genre, how about the first paranormal Regency, “The Vampire Viscount” by Karen Harbaugh!

How about Evelina by Fanny Burney? Or Mysteries of Udolpho by Mrs. Radcliffe?