Jane Austen

En Vacances (And Books!)

Happy Tuesday, everyone. I am off on vacation this week (the first time I could get away all summer!), and having a great time shopping, eating, swimming, and above all–reading! So this will be a short post–longer next week, I promise…

I’ve been reading Linda Urbach’s new historical novel Madame Bovary’s Daughter, about what happens to poor Bertha Bovary after the death of her parents. It’s a great concept, and I know there have been several novels out lately concerning minor characters from classics (especially Austen novels!). I think I would love to see what happened to Adele from Jane Eyre

What character’s story would you like to read?

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

Ooh, I agree with you, I would love to know what happened to Adele! Did Jane raise her after she and Rochester married? What was her relationship like with their son? Who did she marry? Were they able to launch her into society or did she go back to France? So many questions, someone needs to write this book!

Artie Mesia

The above takes you to the book Adele, which tells the story of Adele. So your wish has been granted. Emma Tennant also wrote several JA sequels. I must admit though that Tennant did a mediocre job with JA. I have never read this book, but other people have wanted it as well.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

Well, if it’s mediocre, that leaves room for some one to write a really good book!

Artie Mesia

Elizabeth, I’ve never read this book. I’ve read Emma Tennant’s Jane Austen sequels and they were mediocre. Who knows….maybe she’ll surprise us with her Jane Eyre?

Jane George

I’d like to know how Margaret Dashwood ended up. And a new Jane Fairfax story would be good (apart from Aiken’s).

I agree, Adele’s story has possibilities. We could see the inner battle between nature/nurture. Oui, oui.

RevMelinda

I can neither confirm nor deny that I have read some awesome chapters of a yet-unpublished manuscript by a college friend/novelist that may or may not concern the adulthood of a certain juvenile character from a novel by Charlotte Bronte. If such a thing were to exist, it would beat the pants off of Emma Tennant’s version, and I bet all of you would like it. But as I said, I can neither confirm nor deny.