Trolling the Regency – Carolyn Finds the Best Book Ever

The next midnight beheld Ruth Tudor in the cave, seated upon a point of rock, at the head of the corpse, her chin resting upon her hands, gazing earnestly upon the distorted face. Decay had already begun its work; and Ruth sat there watching the progress of mortality, as if she intended that her stern gaze should quicken and facilitate its operation. The next night also beheld her there, but the current of her thoughts had changed, and the dismal interval which had passed appeared to be forgotten. She stood with her basket of food: ” Wilt thou not eat!” she demanded; ” arise, strengthen thee for thy journey; eat, eat, thou sleeper; wilt thou never awaken? Look, here the meat thou lovest;” and as she raised his head, and put the food to his lips, the frail remnant of mortality shattered at her touch, and again she knew at he was dead.

Published in 1826.

Check the contents:

This is the BEST BOOK EVER! I mean that.

Karl and his horse Nikolaus, a Mysterious Tale !
Oh, Karl, you naughty boy!

Sir Guy the Seeker?

Oh. Whatchya seeking, Sir Guy? A Gal?

Ulric the Bold?
I love a bold fellow. Ulric is awesome and you all know it.

The Black Rainbow or the Death of Charles the Bad.

Charles the Bad? Are you kidding me?

I did some poking around:

From British Short Fiction in the Early Nineteenth Century, Tim Killick, Ashgate, 2008, page 160

Legends of Terror ! was clearly aimed at a general readership.

(I added the big font. Because it needs it.)

To which I say, booh-yah.

I’m writing a heroine who loves scary stories, I swear.

How do you feel about LEGENDS OF TERROR !

About carolyn

Carolyn Jewel was born on a moonless night. That darkness was seared into her soul and she became an award winning and USA Today bestselling author of historical and paranormal romance. She has a very dusty car and a Master’s degree in English that proves useful at the oddest times. An avid fan of fine chocolate, finer heroines, Bollywood films, and heroism in all forms, she has two cats and a dog. Also a son. One of the cats is his.
This entry was posted in Reading, Regency, Research and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Anonymous
Anonymous

I would read Charles the Bad aloud, making him Charles the Bald. That would show him!

Oh, Carolyn, what a terrific find!!!

Kat
Kat

Hans Heiling Rocks, a Bohemian Legends sounds like a Freddie Mercury /Queen Tribute

I am delighted by all the alternative titles. I have trouble coming up with titles. Maybe I should consider doing that?

Beth Elliott

I cannot feel overly inspired by “Bill Jones, a Tale of Wonder”. Sorry, Bill, change your name to Tarquin or Lorenzo and things might start to happen…

Amanda McCabe/Laurel McKee

I would absolutely pick up a book whose cover screams “Tales of Terror!!” But I agree with Beth–change your name, Bill…

Carolyn

You guys are killing me! Great book, eh? Yeah, Bill needs a new name.

I’m torn between The Black Goat and A Night in the Grave – The Devil’s Receipt (am I correct in surmising the word ‘receipt’ means recipe in this case?”

How about The Devil’s Receipt for Black Goat ?

This is a FABULOUS find!! I have to have it!

How about The Devil’s Receipt for Black Goat ?

This is a FABULOUS find!! I have to have it!

The Musk Ball? Is that a typo for Mask Ball? Because I imagine it could get pretty sweaty at a ball but there’s no reason to celebrate it…

librarypat
librarypat

Finding something like this is why I dig around in old book stores, junk shops, auctions, yard sales , and flea markets. I love these old books. It is like peaking through a window and getting a glimpse of what another time was like. I am not big on being scared, but I would certainly check this one out. I fins it interesting that so many of them have double titles. Could they not make up their minds? I would love to check out some of these stories. Comparing style and content over the years is fascinating.