Writing

A Mountain Retreat

I am in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, today, finishing up a weekend writing retreat that was incredibly productive. We’re in a vacation rental surrounded by forest and, listening to the birds during the day and the cicadas at night. It has been a lovely consolation for missing RWA.

So…no time for a proper blog today! It’s our last day and there is lots to do before leaving.

Here’s a photo from the restaurant where we ate dinner last night, which gives you an idea of the landscape around here (although it is a lot greener than it looks in this photo).

But, I wonder, would I rather be writing someplace like this? Malvern Hall as painted by Constable?
Well, my head has really been in Regency London:

Where are you today, in your head and in reality?

I’m wishing I were at a writing retreat. On the other hand, I’m very happy with the three rooms that were repainted on Friday and I nearly have the kitchen back in order again. 🙂

Melody May

Reality: at home avoiding dishes that won’t clean themselves.

In my mind: trying to decide what book I should read. So many on TBR list.

Judy

How lovely! I want to be where you are. 🙂 Instead, I’m at my desk, tackling one of my WIPs.

Sob. I’m home now. Feeding cats and cleaning litter boxes.

But my head is still in the Regency!

Lucky you and I’d rather be in W. Va than at RWA, in fact I’d rather be at home which is where I was and still am! I really want to go on a writing retreat some day, the sort where you lock yourself up and write and emerge for wonderful meals cooked by someone else. Heaven.

janet, this retreat was almost like you described. We each were responsible for one meal and we ate one meal out. And we were serious writers so we really worked!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Your last picture looks very much like State St. in Boston. The Old State House being there in the middle of the street.

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Anonymous

Indeed, the words “Boston Insurance Office” can be seen above the entrance of the building on the right. A women and child are on the sidewalk in front of this columned building.

Anonymous, you are right! I did not notice that before. That is an actual historic print that I own and I thought it was London. Duh.