Former Riskies,  Reading

Readers . . . What do you Think?

Some of you may know about Amazon’s new Matchbook program. Alas, it’s not my idea of a flash-of-fire gif when I delete a book I HATED off my Kindle. I still think that would be awesome and I hope someone gets on that soon. The Matchbook program allows a publisher to offer the digital version of a book for free or for a discounted amount to people who bought the print version (new) from Amazon. Used book purchases don’t count. The publisher decides whether to participate and what discount to offer, including free.

As a reader, I’m excited because, damn, I have bought a lot of books in print and I would be thrilled to get digital versions at a discount.

As a writer, I’m also excited because, see above. I hope there are lots of people out there who will decide to get my books. If someone ponies up for the Create Space print version of one of my self-pubbed books (it’s not possible to price those even at MMPB prices…) I’m happy to offer a discount for the digital version.

I’ve heard some people wondering why anyone would want the digital version if they have the print version.

I’ve heard some people in a panic over anyone getting the digital version for less for any reason.

So, whether you’re wearing your author hat or your reader hat or both, what do you think of this program? Why would you participate, or why not?

Admin

As a reader, I wouldn’t buy every book in both formats, but it would be nice to do that with my favorites.

As an author, I don’t know how well it will work out, but I decided to enroll my books that have Createspace versions.

Karenmc
Karenmc

I already participate, in that if I really love a book, I’ll buy both versions if my budget allows. Print books deteriorate, as does my eyesight, so this is a no-brainer for me.

I think it’s a grand idea and I hope as many publishers as possible participate.

Charlotte Russell

As a reader, I’ve pretty much gone exclusively e-book and I don’t have much interest in collecting paperbacks anymore, so the combo pack isn’t really for me. I’m fine with it if that’s what other people want though! I mean, they’ve already bought the book (paper) and the author has earned a royalty, why not give them the ebook as a bonus?

As a soon-to-be published author, I think it’s a great idea. Best of luck to those of you who are trying it.

LoriA
LoriA

I read mostly ebooks now, but I was still buying print books when I made the switch. I would love to have some of those books in e. And, going forward, there are probably some books I’d like on my shelves. (Sort of sad that my book collecting just appears to taper off drastically.) So yes, I do like the idea. A lot.

glossaria
glossaria

Does anybody else wince whenever Amazon brings out ANOTHER fire-related term for their book programs? (Fahrenheit 451, anyone?)

This sounds like basically the same thing as Ultraviolet (digital video editions) for books. I like the concept, but I’m a little doubtful that many publishers will go the “free” route entirely (and, thinking what I have on my shelves, just how much backlist will even be *available* in digital?).

I probably won’t participate for the same reason I won’t buy a Kindle, or any titles in Kindle format if I can possibly avoid it– I want my ebooks to be MINE, not Amazon’s. For them, it’s just another way of leashing readers to their brand and pushing more ppl towards going digital.

Regina Kammer

I’m pretty impressed that Amazon instituted the program, which readers have been clamoring for for a while now. As a reader, I’ll probably get the free e-versions of books I buy (I’m one of those paper-book-preferred readers!). As an author, I’m thrilled to be able to offer this service to my readers. I’m also wondering how this will affect (if it does at all) publishers who do digital-first or digital-preferred. Will they offer more print (i.e., higher priced) books with free ebooks in hopes of higher profits?

Isobel Carr

As an author, this is something I will certainly offer my readers. As a reader, I like the idea of it in theory (I could then easily share books I love with friends), except that in practice it won’t really work unless I always opt to buy the bundle first. As someone who reads fiction exclusively in eFormat at this point, that would be a big change for me, and I’m guessing not a cheap one.