Regency

Regency Wedding Dress!

wedding door2Today is my wedding anniversary! I’ve been married to my dear husband for a brazillion years–I won’t say how many, but he tells me that he’s supposed to get me dirt for our anniversary this year. Or maybe he meant land.

Like many of our fictional Regency heroes and heroines, we didn’t know each other for very long before deciding to get married. We dated about two months before becoming engaged and we were married a year later, a year I spent away at graduate school. When I think back on that, I wonder what we were thinking???? But, hey, many of our friends and almost half of American couples didn’t stick together, but we did!

Today we celebrate!

After I started writing Regency Historicals, I took a look at my wedding photos and got a surprise. I wore a Regency wedding dress!! Empire waist, leg-o-mutton sleeves, blue ribbon and lace trim. Regency, right?

Back then I’d never heard of Regency Historicals. I’d never read Georgette Heyer. Jane Austen had been a school assignment. I had never picked up a Signet or Zebra traditional regency book. I never, ever dreamed I would write Regency Historicals or fall in love with the history of the era.

But, somehow, I chose a Regency Wedding dress!
Maybe it was our good luck charm.

patty
patty

The statistic “Half of all marriages end is divorce” is an excellent example of a statistic. I have 5 sisters. If half of all marriages end in divorce, 3 of us would be divorced. Granted, 3 have been. That is 50 %. But one sister has 3 divorces to her credit. That alone would be “75% of all marriages end in divorce”, and if you add the other 2….you have 5 out of 6 marriages (75%) End in Divorce. Some people get divorced more than once. A lot more get married, and stay married for life. The statistic is a statistic, one step worse than a damned lie.

Happy anniversary, Diane!!! I love seeing pics of your Regency-style wedding 🙂

Laurel Hawkes

Best wishes, Diane! How lovely you are!

Admin

Happy anniversary, Diane! And love the Regency wedding dress.

PEGGY Quidor
PEGGY Quidor

Happy Anniversary.

Isobel Carr

CONGRATS!

Long lasting marriages that took place fast seem to run in my family. My grandparents knew each other all of two weeks (married 50+ years before grandpa passed). My sister and her husband, two whole months (just had their 5th anniversary are still so cutely in love it’s kinda sick).

You look so lovely in your wedding dress, O Divine One. My parents wrote to each other for a year before they ever met. He was stationed with her brothers in Germany, saw a picture of her, and asked if he could write to her. Her brothers warned him she probably wouldn’t write back. She did. He did. They met on May 4th. They had one date. They married on May 11th. They were married for 40 years when my Dad passed away 17 years ago. She misses him every day. The thing I remember most about those 40 years is they had fun. They teased each other. Laughed. Danced in the kitchen to the radio while we kids groaned and covered our eyes. I’m sure they had arguments. We never saw or heard them. And they had enormous respect for each other and always presented a united front when it came to we three kids!