Risky Regencies

The Wellington Exhibition

At Stratfield Saye, the Duke of Wellington’s country house, the stables are turned into a museum showing artifacts from the Duke’s life.
IMG_0598
The star of the exhibit is, of course, the Victorianly-excessive funeral carriage.
IMG_0599
But there were other pieces, too.

Wellington’s umbrella with a steel spike used in 1830 during the Reform Bill Riots when Wellington was not very popular with the citizenry.
IMG_0600
A dispatch bag belonging to Joseph Bonaparte’s treasurer captured after the Battle of Vitoria
IMG_0603
A caricature
IMG_0597
A feed bag
IMG_0593
Record of feeding of horses (Copenhagen is listed)
IMG_0602
Photograph of footmen in livery
IMG_0592

Omigosh, that livery looks dreadful! Not at all like handsome Thomas from Downton Abbey
images
(Not that any Regency footman would be dressed as Thomas!)

Can you tell I’m still missing England?

ki pha
ki pha

Oh wow! I’m shocked I missed the record of the horse feedings! Argh~

But that photo of the footmen just makes me smile. Though the clothing should have been like Thomas’ and less like a soldier’s uniform it’s still nice to see it.

Laurel Hawkes

Does one every truly stop missing England? There will always be a place in my heart occupied by my heritage and by the people I met when I lived there. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Susan in AZ
Susan in AZ

I’ll take Thomas off your hands. Really. Just tell me where to pick him up.

I love seeing all of these photos as I missed out on the lovely trip, O Divine One! And I would go in a New York minute if I had the money. One day !! However, I did receive a lovely postcard of the Goya portrait of Artie from Kristine recently! Looking for just the right frame for it so I can keep it on my desk as inspiration! 🙂

Maribelle
Maribelle

Fascinating! Copenhagen is horse nr. 24 in the list 🙂
I don’t think Thomas would have liked wearing that kind of livery, particularly that strange looking headgear.

M. Denise Costello

Wonderful to see these photos, Diane. I miss England, too!