2010 is coming to a close, but not without some lists. Keep in mind that last week is ancient history . . . I have to really get the brain going to think back much farther than yesterday.
Standout Books of 2010
These are the books that stand out in my mind without even having to think about it. 2010 was the Year of Georgette Heyer for me. We had our first Risky Read-Along and I went on a Heyer tear after that.
1. The Iron Duke by Meljean Book
2. Venetia, by Georgette Heyer
3. Frederica, by Georgette Heyer
4. A Civil Contract, by Georgette Heyer (with some small reservations)
5. The Talisman Ring, by Georgette Heyer
2. iPhone 4
3. Virgin Mobile MyFi
Things I overdid
1. Eating cookies
Things I did not Overdo
1. Spending more time in real life with friends, near and far, including fellow Risky Megan, and two people I met online and via twitter, @sonomalass and @redrobinreader who turned out, respectively, live within 15 miles of me.
2. Spending more time with writing friends who, as it happened, moved to my town.
Things I did not Do Enough
Favorite Songs or Bands I Discovered This Year
- Our December, Thriving Ivory
- Hallelujah, by Leonard Cohen, these versions:
- Jeff Buckley
- Rufus Wainright
- John Cale
- Leonard Cohen
- kd lang
- Susan Boyle
- Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, hell, the entire Monster album
- Orion, (James Hatfield of Metallica) by Rodrigo y Gabriela
- Take Five (Paul Desmond) by Rodrigo y Gabriela
- Goodbye, Sweet Youth, The Greycoats
Things that Amazed Me
1. The SF Giants winning the World Series!!!
2. Hearing my son speak politely to other people’s parents
3. Just how badly the 49ers played
My 2011 Wish List
I am leaving out the obvious Peace on Earth stuff, OK? Assume all that as a given.
1. Agency Pricing goes away
2. I turn in my books on time
3. Someone gives me a free 13″MacBook Air
4. I get more sleep
So, what are a few things on your lists?
I remember loving Venetia when I was young, so I plunged into A Civil Contract this year as my great return to Georgette Heyer after some 18 or so years. Not the best choice for a plunge-in point, I fear. It was the only book I didn’t finish because I was too angry this year. Maybe I should try again with The Grand Sophy….
I LOVED the Grand Sophy. You should def. read that one.
I did have issues with A Civil Contract, but I was so rooting for the heroine…
Sycorax Pine, I understand completely about A Civil Contract. It is one Heyer I just never liked at all. I did not find the heroine appealing in any way, Carolyn.
But…You can’t go wrong with any other Heyer!
Love your lists, Carolyn!!! One can never overdo being with friends!
Oh, I love Heyer. Keep meaning to replace all the books I gave away (well before I decided to write—so it’s true, I’m not psychic, but I am stupid.)
I too wish for more sleep. And more alertness when I’m actually awake.
Great list. I definitely need to read more Heyer this year.
As for the Hallelujah list, have you heard Kate Voegele’s version? Beautiful. You should definitely look it up on YouTube.
I lost a job I loved (children’s librarian).
Started sorting 3 households worth of things from storage, so now my house is more of a mess than it has ever been.
Got hooked on following computer blogs, especially historical fiction blogs.
Didn’t get anywhere near enough sleep.
FOR NEXT YEAR
I will get all this stuff sorted and have a nice, neat, livable house.
I will catch up on all my emails and blogs I follow so I don’t spend so much time on the computer every day.
I will read more books and try to whittle down my way too large collection of books.
Eat less and exercise more.
Like your list.
Have a wonderful 2011!
LibraryPat: So sorry to hear about the job loss. That’s awful.
Everyone: Thanks for dropping by and a huge HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.