Today is Jane Austen’s 213th birthday! It’s also the birthday of Ford Madox Ford, Noel Coward, Beethoven, and my mother. And, since I still need to go shopping for her present before her party tonight (my mom, not Jane Austen), I’m going to borrow from the Jane Austen Centre’s newsletter for today’s post. This month’s quiz concerns parties from Austen novels. Test your knowledge (I missed 2!), and the answers are at the end. But no peeking! Let us know how you did, and which Austen party you would most enjoy attending. I think I would be partial to the Netherfield ball.
1) At the Phillips’ card party what sort of card game does Mr. Collins play?
2) On what date is the Netherfield ball held?
a) 1st of November
b) 15th of November
c) 26th of November
3) When Fanny is invited to her first dinner at the parsonage with the Grants, what is the main course?
4) Fanny receives what from Miss Crawford to wear to the ball at Mansfield?
a) A chain
b) A necklace
c) A cross
5) The party at the Westons’ when Mr. Elton proposes is what sort of party?
a) A ball
b) A birthday party
c) A Christmas party
6) Mrs. Elton is shocked at the lack of what at Highbury card parties?
7) Anne talks with Captain Wentworth and thinks he might still love her at what event?
a) A play
b) A concert
c) An opera
8) The Elliotts have what kind of party in Bath?
a) An evening party
b) A dinner party
c) An engagement party
9) Mary Musgrove complains about their going out to dinner at the Pooles’ for what reason?
a) The food was not elegant enough
b) The children were present
c) She was squashed in the carriage
10) In Northanger Abbey, where does Catherine meet Henry Tilney?
a) A play at the theatre
b) A ball in the Lower Rooms
c) A concert in the concert hall