I am the absolute worst at memes which strike me as
- No different from chain mail
So, at the same time I think wow, that would be fun to list [Insert Meme here] I also think all six of my friends will HATE me for dumping this time suck on them. So I end up never doing them because of the requirement of forcing innocents to participate and also never having the required number of vict… er…. friends.
But I got to thinking that lists are kind of fun. So, herewith, my highly personalized list of Historical Novels I Liked A Lot. You’ll probably notice that some of my choices were not historical when they were written. It’s my list so I can do that. Also, because it’s my list, I get to include books that maybe aren’t considered literature.
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
- Villette, Charlotte Bronte
- Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
- Castle of Otranto, Horace Walpole
- Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
- The Makioka Sisters, Junichero Tanizaki
- Connigsby, Benjamin Disraeli
- The King Must Die, Mary Renault
- Fire From Heaven, Mary Renault
- The Last Days of Pompeii, Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- The Silver Chalice, Thomas Costain
- The Marble Faun, Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The Black Tulip, Alexandre Dumas
- Beowolf (but not until long after I was done reading it.)
- Captain Blood, Rafael Sabatini
- Robin Hood
I know there’s more, but that’s my beginning list.
And since I said you can play too, what are yours? Do your own blog post or opine in the comments or both.